I am getting call ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by arherp, Dec 27, 2009.

1. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    I have decided to get some call ducks this Saturday. Is there any tidbits of information out there that I should know about them? Any helpful hints? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    lol I thought you were "getting calls" about nuisence ducks! hahhahhhahaahahah april fools early

3. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Lol, changed the title.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    mine make a lot of noise.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    You'll love them!!!!

6. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    I love mine to bits. You're gonna have a great time with them. They are crazy loud but all my neighbours like the sound of them cos they say it always sounds like they're laughing. I don't know what needs to be done differently with calls to other ducks cos my calls are the first ducks I've ever had. They like to dig in muck, use you as a climbing frame and stand outside the feed cupboard and demand food! They make the world a better place!

Here's Rory, he a bit of a mutt call, he's good and small but his beak is a little on the mallardy size!:

[​IMG]

7. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:There are many different types and varieties of call ducks...pet quality, breeder quality and show quality, and everybody has a different idea of what comprises what. My best advice is to know the standard for the breed and what variety you are looking for before you go so you don't wind up being at odds with what you buy. Show ducks are not necessarily practical ducks or good breeders, and good pet quality ducks may not be able to take a prize anywhere or produce ducklings that people will pay a lot for. So know what your goals are and what sort of call duck will fill the bill.

8. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    I agree with duckluck, my calls wouldn't get a look in at a show but they are the friendliest little peeples you could hope to meet!

9. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Ok. Do they lay good/have high fertility?

10. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Thanks for all the help so far BTW.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by