I am getting FREE Pekins , Got em and boy are they Noisy..Post #14

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CoopCrazy, Dec 11, 2009.

1. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I just found pekin ducks on CL today and am picking them up tommorow... [​IMG] I amm soooo excited ... Hope fully I'll have some eggs to incubate soon ... Now questions Can they fly? How do you give them water to swim in in the winter? Would a four foot fence be tall enough to keep them inside? And will a dog igloo be enough shelter?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Can they fly? Nope
    How do you give them water to swim in in the winter? If you have a container you can easily empty and fill, go for it. When I first got ducks I used an under the bed tupperware tub for my ducks. If it is just too darn cold, don't worry about it. Pekins LOVE water for swimming but will be OK without it
    Would a four foot fence be tall enough to keep them inside? Yeah
    And will a dog igloo be enough shelter? That is what my 5 ducks sleep in...and extra large dog igloo.

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Thanks Wife zilla ... I am sooo excited I have a nice fenced ina rea right outside my door that will work great and she thinks they are two boys and two girls so hopefully lots of eggies... Is this a good ratio...

4. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Quote:Sorry to maybe burst your bubble.

They aren't known for being good egg producers. They were bred for meat production.
    They don't fly.
    Mine didn't like the pond when they were grown. You really don't need to give them water to swim in but they do need water to help them eat. They make a mess.
    A one foot fence would probably keep them in if they don't push it down. They had problems getting over a six inch wall. You do need to protect them from predators. They are slow and ungainly and will have a hard getting away.
    How many you are getting will dictate the size of the shelter. A dog igloo would probably work but protect it from the elements especially the open door.

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Just four so I think it should suffice and I will be getting another heated water bowl as well ... I read they give about 200 a year if they dont go broody .. im not wanting a huge amount of eggs just to hatch some more next year... No bubble bursting here... IM TOOO EXCITED

6. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Congratz!!! I can't wait to see pictures!!!

7. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

200 eggs a year. Maybe I just didn't get past the part of they don't do very well at breeding.

8. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Now that much Im not sure of .. But eitherway we'll have duck eggs to eat ..

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Hey AC Thanks ... I get em tommorow .. I am sooo excited...

10. There are occasional Pekins that are very good layers so [​IMG]
    They usually don't go broody, but again some do!
    Having two drakes and two hens usually dosn't work out so well, it gets too rough for the hens, so you may have to make some changes. This time of year they may be a little more mellow but in February it really starts to get wild. You could add more hens or find a home for one of the guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by