1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    A parakeet! I will be getting him tommorow. I will keep you all updated with lots of pics and stories. :)

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Congratz!!!! Budgies are amazing!!!

3. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    False alarm. :-( My mom doesn't want two budgie in the house since she claims they bond with each other. Oh well.

4. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011

Whats wrong with them bonding?

5. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    My mom wants hers to be a pet, and she thinks that they will bond. Oh well. :-(

6. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    Yes, they do bond with each other, but they will also develop STRONG bonds with there owners. They are parrots after all.. (Trust me on this one, as many of you know, I am a Bird trainer [​IMG])

7. honeybunny

honeybunny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    http://www.petstation.com/only-bird.html

I don't own budgies or any bird than chickens, but I've actually cared for one(long story) once and I've recently done research just out of curiosity. You and your mom should read this article if you want that budgie, and it'll make you and the budgies much happier, and wont break your bond.

8. wildcat chix

wildcat chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Barbourville, Kentucky
    I'll add my two cents here.....

We have 2 parakeets here. One we have had for almost 2 years, the other about a year.

They are both males and live in the same cage. They are bonded to each other, but the one we have had longer still considers himself very much a pet.

When we let them out of the cage, the one we've had the longest will fly right to us. That bond between bird and human is still there, even though there are 2 birds now.

Regardless what anyone here says, if your mom says no it will be no. However, if she is concerned with her bird no longer being a pet, ours is still a pet.

Other than that, how would she feel about separate cages for them?

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by