1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am glad this winter wasn't too bad here in Butler, PA

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jan230, Feb 17, 2012.

1. jan230

jan230 New Egg

Oct 4, 2011
    We had a mild winter here. It was nice because I was able to let the girls out several times so they could stretch their legs and flap their wings. I got a new golden retriever puppy this January. He discover the chicken coop. On one of our beautiful sunny days, I let the hens out. Tanner, the dog, wasn't sure what to make of the hens. The next time I let the girls out, Tanner, took it upon himself to chase the hens. The hens ran in the coop except for Wednesday. She is, you might say, my problem child. She dodged Tanner every chance she got. She hates to go in the coop. With the help of my wonderful husband we got her back in safe and sound. I can't wait to see what happens this spring when I let the girls out longer. Hopefully by then I'll have Tanner trained some more. This has been the one of the best things I ever did.(raising chickens)

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm glad you are enjoying your chickens. Hopefully Tanner will get used to watching the chickens in the run and the chickens will lose a little of their novelty. I hope Tanner is trained to be a good chicken guard dog[​IMG]

3. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan
    I'm grateful for a mild winter as well. I'm in Michigan. Don't your chickens have a run? My girls spend a lot of time outside in the winter. They are always able to stretch their legs and only go into their coop to lay an egg or sleep. I don't know what I'd do without our chicken run. My girls are in it all winter long. During spring, summer and fall, they get to free range all day, but to protect them from hungry winter predators, they stay inside the run for winter (there is nothing for them to forage for during winter).

Sincerely,
    Kelly
    Our Country Chronicles

[​IMG]

4. jan230

jan230 New Egg

Oct 4, 2011
    Hi Kelly, My girls do have a run. They spend all day out there. I just like to let them have free range when I can watch them. I live in the country and have one neighbor who has two boxers that are not watched when let outside. I'm afraid they could hurt my hens and new puppy. It's a tough situation since the neighbor is a relative.
    These chickens have brought so much laughter into our lives. We grab our lawn chairs, a beer ( my husband) and watch the hens in the evening (summer). They are so funny. This is the coop my husband made for me. The next picture is Ellie Mae with her apron I made her. She was picked on and lost some feathers. I didn't want her to be too cold this winter. Thanks for writing. Spring is around the corner!!![​IMG][​IMG]

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  6. Keltara

I'm so happy you have a run as well. I know that I'm (and my hens!) really looking forward to spring. Although this winter has been mild, it has been long. I know that my hens will still be happy to forage and chase bugs again! Your coop and run are LOVELY!! ◠‿◠

How terrible that you neighbors dogs are such a threat! I would be so upset to have such inconsiderate neighbors. I myself am afraid of stray dogs, let alone being stuck with the inability to feel safe in letting my hen's out. Natural predators are cause for worry enough, but to have to worry about someone's "PETS"? That's terrible!! Do your neighbors know that you have chickens?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  7. jan230

jan230 New Egg

Oct 4, 2011
    Hi Kelly, They know I have chickens and I have talked to them about the dogs coming into my yard. It is my niece and her husband. To keep the family peace, I just keep asking them to keep the dogs away from my coop and my dogs. I have my older golden trained not to go on or cross the road.I plan to do this with Tanner (the puppy). They had some chickens but the coyote killed 7 out of 9 hens. They don't put them it at night or fix any escape hole. It's a sad situation. I love my niece but not their bad habits. Anyway, I love the hens and my dogs and we'll just keep an eye out for trouble.It has been really nice talking to you. Janet

8. jan230

jan230 New Egg

Oct 4, 2011
    Hi I like the name "chicken TV' My mom would call us in the evening and ask what we were doing. I say,"watching the best comedy show out there." She would laugh and I tell her she didn't know what she was missing. I really enjoyed your chicken page. Nice photos. Have a super day!

9. Keltara

I totally understand the 'keeping the peace" factor. I'm just sorry you have to deal with that added threat to your precious hens. Maybe, through leading by example, you will one day have an impact on them. It's very sad about the loss of their hens. Such an unnecessary event.

Have a great day!
    Blessings,
    Kelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by