I am going to buy an incubator. What kind please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dilly, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Okay I am hooked chicken crazy and over the top.

I want to buy an incubator. I want it with all the bells and whistles. I want the auto turner so I do not have to open and mess with the eggs. I want the temp controlled. You know just add water and watch them grow type incubator.

Please any suggestions. I am completely new to all this so the simplier the batter.

Which kind and where to purchase for best deal.

Here is the one I am thinking about getting, is this a good one? Hova-bator model 0720

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=66

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  2. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dilly,

What is your price range?

The TX's run about $250-$400 (ebay/used versus new). Pretty much just set them up, check temp and humidity daily, add water every few days when the bottle runs out. They can only hold about 15 eggs. Thermometers/hygrometer will have to be calibrated, though, so you can trust you're getting good readings. (this is the case with ANY therm/hygro). Check the Lyon website, and you'll definitely get good advice here.

The Genesis Hovabator seems to be very popular, you can get one with turner for about $150. Temp is pre-set. I have two that are on the way, and bought them based on the advice I got here.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Tophatch!!!

And, be sure to get one that circulates air and has a turner.

Good luck, keep us posted.
    Lisa

3. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    You've chosen an excellent bator but are you aware that the turner is for quail eggs? If you are hatching quails only it is fine. However, if you plan to hatch chicken eggs then you have a problem, I think.
    The HovaBator 1588 is a favorite among all of us novices. It is a "plug and play" thing. You would need the 1611 turner if you plan to hatch chicken eggs. I have two of the 1588's and turners. They are a no brainer for operation. Just follow the instructions that are included and go.
    Good luck with your choice and good vibes to you hatching.

4. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dilly,

The best price for a new Hova Genesis was at Double R Supply...about 151 plus shipping. They've treated me pretty well.

Good Luck. Again, DON'T get a tophatch. You'll only be disappointed.

5. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
  6. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Quote:Hi, I thought it said it had both chicken and quial. I donot want any quail and would refuse the eggs that comes with it. Otherwise is this one better than the 1588? Or are they comparable if I add on the auto turner tot he 1588?

Thanks allot.

7. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Cutler has the best price and are great to deal with. 1588 w/1611 $142.60 +shipping $9.00 = $151.60

8. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Well I found the one that I really like the best and that is the brinsea. Otherwise the Hova Genesis sounds like the best way to go with the auto egg turner. What bothers me is spending $150 or so on a styrofoam box pretty much. And then spending over four hundred for something I may only use a few times if that. I think I need to probably barrow or buy the cheapest and see if I enjoy hatching.
    What is a girl to do.

9. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    I have a little giant with the fan and i have no complaints as of now. This is my first time using it. I have a steady temp and humidity. I am thinking about getting a turner, but we will see what happens next wednesday (day the chicks are supposed to pop out)

10. frankie5316

frankie5316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    If you want to hatch small batches of 3 eggs at a time I suggest you get the Rcom mini digital incubator. I have this one and it does everything on its own all you do is add water and it has a digital count down to when hatch day is. I am also able to hatch small birds or larger ones like ducks. I love my incubator. I got mine for about $160 you can probably get it cheaper tho. But its all worth it when you see the little chicks hatching out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by