I am going to start a few flocks, and would like to know which diseases and disorders to be most pre

DocumentedPure

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2017
Canada
Does anyone have a great thorough all around medical kit that they recommend? Does anyone take their own blood/ fecal samples to send off to labs? If the labs show something, can I just email the results to a Vet to get prescription drugs or must I physically take the chickens into the vet to get prescriptions even though I my lab results were conclusive?

Should I buy all of these medications to have on hand, or are there some that are dual purpose allowing me to skip others?
http://www.poultrysupplies.com/index_files/Page398.htm

Could someone also post a link to their favorite First Aid Kit?

Does anyone have a great thorough all around medical kit that they recommend? Does anyone take their own blood/ fecal samples to send off to labs? If the labs show something, can I just email the results to a Vet to get prescription drugs or must I physically take the chickens into the vet to get prescriptions even though I my lab results were conclusive?

What do you think? The answer is no. A vet will not prescribe any medication unless they have seen the bird.

Should I buy all of these medications to have on hand, or are there some that are dual purpose allowing me to skip others?
http://www.poultrysupplies.com/index_files/Page398.htm

There is no need to buy all of those, and many of them are banned for use in poultry.

Could someone also post a link to their favorite First Aid Kit?

Last edited:
Thank you man, I appreciate your help, even though my questions may seem dumb.

Because I am graced by your wisdom and presence, I have a million questions I have for you now. If you do not want to answer them, if you could please at least point me in the right direction so that I could learn on my own, I would be grateful. I see you have a label of poop analyzer? Do you work for NPIP, at a lab, dedicated hobbyist, or a veterinary assistant? I am not trying to size you up, I am thankful you are knowledgeable so I would like to know so I can ask questions related to your study.

The reason I asked about the veterinarian question, was because I curious as to what the procedure was to send it to a lab. My novice and inexperienced impression would be that I would send off scat from a concerning bird, then the once the laboratory reached a conclusion, I get an email, forward that email to a Vet, he sends me a prescription so the animal does not die or get sicker, and then I apply treatment. I am thankful you informed me of the process to go about it, because you may have saved my birds lives.

I am concerned about saving money, yet also providing timely care if necessary. If I have a sick bird, must I take it to the doc to get a sample taken, or is there a type of lab service that could verify that the bird is real, is mine, just do the processing, and validate through their professional licence that the bird is actually sick. Now that I think about it, that would be a vet tech job, and I may not even have to meet with the vet to process that, while still being at his clinic.

Is there a more affordable option? I am aware of NPIP testing options, but I want to know what to do in isolated conditions. If I can, I want to test every chicken the second they squawk wrong. I am terrified to lose my flock to a contagious or preventable disease.

Are all of the vaccines in the poultry page of that poultry medicine page worthwhile? I know Maerek's is, but I would like to know if I should avoid any. It surprises me that they would sell banned drugs, maybe they found a loophole by saying that the chickens are pets and not for human consumption, or something. I do know that the first section is for birds that are not to be consumed. Could you tell me the ones on that page that I should absolutely not buy, because illegal, or unsafe? I hope it does not seem like I am lazy and trying to get you to do all the work for me, I tried to find it on my own, but I could not find a single cross comparison to a banned drug on the list of banned and minimal use drugs page here. http://www.farad.org/eldu/prohibit.asp

I enjoyed your list of first aid products. I will incorporate those into mine. However, I could not find the link to the thread you created about worthwhile pharmaceuticals. Could you attach a link? One last and final question. Could you recommend a couple books on health, disease, or treatment? Thank you for your time. You provide valuable contributions to this site and chicken keeper everywhere.

Sorry Cathy, I wrongly assumed you were a dude. Maybe it was because I would not imagine a girl to identify as a poop inspector. But, either way, I was wrong to assume. No offense was intended.

Back
Top Bottom