I am going to try again.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by digger455, Aug 26, 2010.

1. digger455

digger455 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    I set 5 eggs at about 3 today. I just hatched 4 out of 20. So I have to see if I can do better with this one. What ever eggs I get tomorrow will be going in there too. I have to see if I will do better with my own eggs. The last ones I got in the mail. Will be the last for the year I think. Living here in Minnesota it is going to get cold soon. Anybody want to hatch with me??

Digger

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Better Luck This Time! [​IMG]
    What are you going to hatch? [​IMG]

3. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    What kind of chicks are you hatching??

4. digger455

digger455 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Barred and RIR. First time raising chickens and desided that I wanted to try the bator too. I like them. How is that for getting into this thing?? I kinda wonder about winter but it will be ok I am sure. It gets a little cool here in Minnesota

5. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Quote:'a little cool'.... what an understatement.... I think your summers are cooler than most of my winter..... Can you say 'Run the a/c on Christmas Day?'.... Done that before.....

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I will probably turn off the incubator in late or early October! [​IMG]

7. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Best of luck to you! It took me at least 4 tries to get a good hatch, but now that I have there no stopping me, lol!!!

I think you just have to figure out what works best for you, your incubator, your humidity, your climate.

I am in Texas using a Hovabator, 1-18 days I keep the bottom tray full and fill it about every 2-3 days, humidity from 40-55%, sometimes drops a little lower for a short amount of time. Then on day 18 I cranked the humidity up, high 70-80%, I know most recommend 65%, but if mine goes that low my chicks get stuck in the shells. It took me 4 tries to figure that out, so you just have to see what works best for you.

8. kulangi

kulangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Hey, at least you got 4 hatched. I bought 12 eggs of RIR and 12 of Dominique from Ebay and none of them hatched. [​IMG] I will not buy any fertile eggs from Ebay again.

9. spoggy

spoggy d'Anver d'Nut

Aug 19, 2008
    Carlisle Township
    Quote:Shipping eggs is pretty hard on them. They can get "scrambled" in the process. There have been many people that have talked about it here on BYC. The most common complaint seems to be detached air cells.

10. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    I'm putting some serama eggs off of eBay in the incubator tonight. If all goes well they will be my second thing to hatch. Got coturnix eggs in which will hopefully hatch the fourth...really really hoping it goes well lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by