I am hearing Quacks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by peepsandquacks, May 12, 2011.

1. peepsandquacks

peepsandquacks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    My ducks are 3.5 weeks old and every night, I put some peas in a tall glass of water and give it to them (It helps them clean their faces to dig for them). THey get SUPER excited every time I come over to the with that glass!! Last night, I do the same thing and I hear "cheep cheep, quack quack, cheep cheep". Its a very raspy quack, but its there! My little babies are growing up :-(.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I love that first quack. I think it surprises them as much as it does us. [​IMG]

3. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Awww... thats so cute.

4. fresheggsdaily

fresheggsdaily Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Suffolk VA
    I have 5 pekins and 2 Rouens, about 7-8 weeks old. Is it true that only the females quack ? I am hearing some quacking and wonder if they're females. Thanks !

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I keep hearing the boy duck "whistle" noise and I can't figure out who's doing it. I have one girl for sure, it quacks. The others are either too young, or it's raspy. I think I have a lot of boys though.

I only want to keep two boy Saxony ducks and female on everything else. I only have one Saxony duckling right now, 4 more eggs growing in the incubator. But so far, only one Pekin did a female quack for sure, at 5 weeks old.

6. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have 2 Rouens that I got 3/11 and they have yet to make many sounds at all. One did make a kind of hiss noise one night when I went by their run.

7. peepsandquacks

peepsandquacks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    My female makes the most quacks. So far its only when they are excited. The rest of the time its the normal duckling cheep. By drake does whistle like someone said...it sounds like a parakeet LOL. Maybe hes just confused.

8. fresheggsdaily

fresheggsdaily Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Suffolk VA
    Thanks. I'm hearing some whistling or wheezing, like one of them has asthma ! So I'm thinking that might be a male ???

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Drakes have a raspy sounding quack. The hens have an unmistakable quack.

10. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I am right with you! Mine are almost 3 weeks old and we started hearing quacks from one almost a week ago. Now she's quacking away almost all the time! I sure hope the rest of mine follow suit soon. I know it's early, but I have been worried that only ONE of the 4 is quacking so far!

Good luck on the rest of yours!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by