I am HOOKed on GeoCaching!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HarlansHollowFarms, Nov 11, 2009.

1. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    My daughter convined me to get my little hand held GPS out and check out this website www.Geocaching.com now I am hooked! [​IMG]

If you have never done it, check it out. It gets you outdoors and is great family fun! I have learned so much history of this area just searching for these hidden caches. It can be great excerise also. This is high tech treasure hunting!

My grandkids now know how to read coordinates on the GPS, maps, follow directions and figure out clues and read a compass, what a great learning experience.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It is super fun and a great family activity! People always look at me like I'm nuts when I talk about it, but it's a blast to do! Everyone should try it at least once. [​IMG]

3. HarlansHollowFarms

Jan 16, 2009
    I placed some BYC cards in one cache yesterday!

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Now THERE's a good idea! [​IMG]

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Awesome! Outdoor family-friendly adventure [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    What is usually hidden in them?

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    It IS great fun, isn't it??

... and never as much about WHAT we find, as WHERE we find it .. Geocaching has taken us to some wonderfully incredible places! Little hidden amazing historical places...

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:All sorts of things! They have kids caches, which have kids toys and items in them, they have ones that you just sign your name, then they have some that have fortunes. A millionaire once his his entire fortune (well probably the deed to it) because he had no heirs to leave it to, in a geocache! I've also heard of people hiding valuable coins. The whole name of the game is if you find a cache and take something from it, you need to leave something equal in value, unless of course it's one of those millionaire type things. [​IMG] My kids love doing it, because it's like a treasure hunt. [​IMG]

9. HarlansHollowFarms

Jan 16, 2009
    I found 6 yesterday an 4 today.....nice way to spend a day off work and see the countryside!

10. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    We like doing them as a family. Dh has about four GPSs now, two for running, one for the car and one for geocaching. Can you say obsessed? Last year for Christmas, dh got his geocaching GPS, lots of little dohickies to put in caches, pencils, etc. For his birthday he got a shoulder bag (the back pack was a pain) where he keeps all his stuff. He also has a palm pilot that he down loads cache info onto.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by