1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am I a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MelissaD, Aug 16, 2011.

1. MelissaD

MelissaD New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    Hi, I'm not even sure what breed or gender 'Nugget' is - Can anyone help me? He/she is 41/2 months old.
    Thanks so much!!

[​IMG]

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I think you have a hen. [​IMG]

3. MelissaD

MelissaD New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    The reason I'm asking if it's a roo or not it makes a strange noise, different from the other hens, and some mornings it looks/sounds like it's trying to crow.

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i haveome chickens around that same age and thought they were hens, turns out they wernt, they make sounds that sound like a crow, but its short sounding and seems messed up, looking at ur pic it lookes like a rooster. its still young so its feathers havent came all the way in. but looks rooster to me

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    No-you have a rooster- thats a brahma. The shoulders are really white and that's exactly how those feather out...I also see saddle feathers:( Where did you get him?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
  7. MelissaD

MelissaD New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    Thanks so much everyone for your advice!
    Sonew123 - I purchased him at a week old from Feed Store in Austin Tx. He doesn't really show any other behaviors of a Roo other than trying to do some type of crowing. He will be needing a new home as I don't want to offend my neighbors. : (

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:aww too bad:( The brahmas are really tender souls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by