I AM IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP WITH MY DOG, SADIE

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickenfan4life, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Hello. I am hoping you can give me some information on this.

I have a Jack Russel Terrier X Dachshund named Sadie. She has a problem with jumping up on the table and stealing food. I left a basket of eggs on the table today, along with a can of tuna, and she got up on the table and broke and ate the eggs and cut her mouth on the tuna can, which was open.

This has happened multiple times and the behavior is getting very annoying. This mostly happens when I am not around. Like when we went to the store today. But she is getting bolder and will jump up on the table when I am standing right there. I have started acting very disappointed, and smacking her bum with the palm of my hand, but now she acts like she doesn't like me, and is continuing with her bad behavior.

I would use a crate/kennel to control her when I am not around, but my parents are really stubborn and do not agree with kennels, which is the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. Many professionals use kennels. Sadie is exactly the kind of dog that would probably benefit from spending time in a kennel. But my parents stupid answer is: "Dogs are not cage animals. Kennels are for lazy people." I don not intend on CAGING Sadie, just using the crate for when I am not around.

So, I was wondering what I should do. Sadie is no longer my buddy, and she is just a badly behaved dog that is getting more and more annoying by the day. I have watched every video and read every website on how to stop this behavior and nothing helps.

PLEASE HELP ME. PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THIS THREAD WITHOUT GIVING A LITTLE BIT OF ADVICE, AS I A DESPERATE HERE. I MAY HAVE NO OTHER OPTION OTHER THAN TO GET RID OF SADIE!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Shock collar... Not a big fan of those things but they have a place. Set up a camera that you can watch an not be seen by the dog. Shock the dog when on the table. Teach the dog that the table is the cause of the shock an not you so you being there has no effect on behavior.

FYI those shocks are not that bad anyway. If you set a collar an remote on a table, many people that see it will shock there selves over an over. Went threw a lot of batteries that way...

3. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    That sounds like a good idea, but, my parents are against shock collars too. They are really weird. [​IMG]

4. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

get an ultrasonic or citronella collar

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I personally believe there is never a need for a shock collar. Dogs that behave out of respect have better and more consistant behavior than those that behave out of fear.

You need to work with your dog on basic training and you need to do it EVERY SINGLE DAY until she understands what you want of her.

Looking for a dog trainer in your area is never a bad idea and would give you a good place to start. Some pet stores and animal shelters offer basic classes for cheap. I think this is something that would be great to do as a family so everyone is using the same hand gestures and words. Consistency is very important.

NEVER feed your dog snacks in the kitchen or at the table. This teaches her that eating there is ok. Only feed her food and snacks in her bowl away from where you eat.

You will want to work on three basic commands that can be used for tons of different things. "wait" "leave it" and "drop it." Don't yell no over and over again - it stops meaning anything to the dog. Instead use a firm, calm voice to tell them what you want.

You can food train your dogs but I think it is best that this is something you do with your parents and not alone as you need to be cautious around any dog that might be food aggressive when you start this process. I have trained my dogs so that they do not eat anything unless given a specific commend - food on the table, on the floor or in their bowl. They sit and wait until they are allowed even if I leave the room. I once had to go out of town unexpectedly and I got a call from my neighbor saying she thought my dog was sick because he would not eat - in my hurry I had forgotten to tell her the command. He sat there for an hour. Poor guy.

It's all about how much time you are willing to put in - you do not needs shocks or citronella or prongs or any of that stuff. Just patience and consistency.

6. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    #1: DO NOT leave food items on the counter.

My coonhound was bad about "counter cruising" when we first got her. We let her know - with loud commands of NO and DOWN and plenty of noise to get her attention - that it was not going to be tolerated. She would then go into the crate for a period of time to get the point across. My hound doesn't like water so we also use a spray bottle as discipline and that works. A few good sprays of water on her rump and she gets the message.

You must be persistent. Watch her carefully and remove temptation. They will eventually get the message.

7. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    x2

8. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Thanks, guys. This is good information. I just really do not want to have to get rid of Sadie. Cute as she is, she is also expensive. She is becoming a very destructive dog.

9. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    If possible, always keep Sadie with you so she doesn't have a chance to get the food. Keep her tethered to you with a leash if you have to. Not only will that prevent her go in the kitchen unsupervised, it will also give you the chance to bond and establish dominance if you haven't already. Jacks are EXTREMELY smart and energetic, so give her challenges. Going for walks on leash is also a good way to get back your relationship. Just make sure she heels or walks behind you, because YOU are the leader. It might take a lot of time, and it will most definitely take a lot of patience, but isn't she worth it?

10. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Most dogs are destructive because they are bored and do not get enough exercise. She needs physical exercise every single day - being outside in a yard is not enough. Also make sure that she has things to do. If you do not give her anything that she is allowed to chew on then she will chew on your things - it is not fair to expect otherwise. Make sure that she has toys and always get a walk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by