I am just sick and sad....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HennyJenny, Aug 5, 2010.

1. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    I just had to cull a five week old turkey poult due to severe spraddle leg. I am just sick and I am so sad that I had to do it. I hope to God I don't have to do it again for a long time. I am just teary eyed sad - I just don't get that way. I'm just needed to whine outloud I guess.
    Jenny

2. Trophamus

Trophamus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    I'm so so sorry [​IMG] you just have to remember it was for the best [​IMG]

3. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Sorry!!!! [​IMG]

4. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Whine away!!!- we will be your ears and shoulder. So sorry you had to go thru this experience--[​IMG]

5. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    You were brave, and did a very humane thing. Pats on the back, but you know you did good.. The poor turkey might have suffered for weeks or months in another coop.

6. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    I'm so sorry. Thats a miserable thing to have to do.

7. HennyJenny

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    Thanks you guys. It's just very hard when they are so little. There just isn't much more trusting than a poult that thinks you're its flock. My husband did the only other chick I've had with spraddle leg and he was really upset that I asked him to do it - so this one I was on my own. I know it's part of having livestock but it still doesn't make it suck any less - I'm trying to think of it that the little bird trusted me to do the right thing and that this was the right thing. I know better that to nurse spraddle leg for as long as I did - that made it harder on both of us. I appreciate your kind support.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's tough on a person.

I have a little roo that hatched the end of April that I'm going to have to put out of its misery. I'm not looking forward to it.
    I think I'll put it in a plastic bag and then step on it's head.

9. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    It is a hard thing to do but at least we can choose to put them out of pain. Sorry you had to experience this:hugs.

10. HennyJenny

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    Quote:Thinking about it is the worst part. I spent a week thinking about what would be the fastest way that I wouldn't screw it up. Today I came home and her good leg was out and it had to be done or I would have spent another week just getting my guts up and thinking about the "best way".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by