i am looking for a friendly, but protective rooster what breed is best?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by zxcvbnm, Nov 24, 2012.

1. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG]hi we are going to start a coop in about a month are looking for a suitable rooster.nothing fancy or rare,and no bantams.the hens we will have will be ameraucanas,astralorps,plymouth rock,rhode island reds, and wyandottes.preferably a breed that will get along with these hens.

2. zxcvbnm

Nov 24, 2012
    i would also like a rooster that can live in my back yard and is easy to take care of[​IMG]

3. zxcvbnm

Nov 24, 2012
    i have heard lots about ameraucanas,orpingtons,and cochins,witch one?

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Orpingtons are great, usually very freindly. I've had iffy experiances with EE roos, it was kind of agressive, but I've heard good things about them too.

I personally love Salmon Faverolle roosters. They are big fluffy teddy bears of the chicken world and get long with everything :)

5. zxcvbnm

Nov 24, 2012
    thanks for the comment.are they good flock protectors?a day doesn't go by without seeing a hawk,and we need a rooster who can protect chicks from our 3-4 month old kittens

6. MegaChickens

MegaChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    My Orpington roo is very protective of his girls but still is very friendly to me and my family. He is very large and chases away anything that he isnt comfortable with. He is protective yet still loves to be held - he's our best roo.

7. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    My sliver laced wyandotte is protective of his girls and is very friendly to us humans. My son picks him up and holds him. He is a good boy.

8. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    My best roo is my black broiler. He is quieter than most roos. He is very tall with a wide stance. He keeps his girls all with him. He gives them any treats he finds. He calls them to good forage areas. He calls them to come in at night. He doesn't like or trust me but he doesn't try to spur me or get in my way. He'll just call the girls to get behind him when I come out. He was supposed to be dinner but he is just so great I haven't sent him to freezer camp yet. He earns his keep and isn't too noisy while doing it.

I have a Orphington roo but he isn't as nice to the girls and a little skittish. On the up side he is a nice big roo. He does watch out for the girls. He had two brothers both lemon cukoo Orphingtons that were mean to the girls and tried to spar my daughter. They aren't out there anymore [​IMG]

9. zxcvbnm

Nov 24, 2012
    thanks for all the info!!i guess an orpington is the way to go,since everyone thinks that.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by