I am looking for a particular Chicken....?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RossonRanch, Jun 17, 2009.

1. RossonRanch

RossonRanch Hatching

Jun 17, 2009
    Thrall, Texas
    I saw a chicken that was black with feather's on it legs, now I see them in the book many different kinds....It didn't seem as small as a bantam but not a HUGE chicken either. When it runs....it waddles...it's the cutiest little waddle...What chicken is it?

2. blueoval1

blueoval1 Songster

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    That is a very broad description [​IMG] did the books have captions naming the breed of chicken.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Possibly a langshans? Although I wouldn't call them small.

Bantams come in a wide variety of sizes from the teensy class A serama & dutch up to the bantam brahmas & silkies.

Colour is rarely an indicator of breed--most breeds come in many colours, and there are many chickens that are black. Feathers on the leg is a better criteria for differentiating breed,although there are a number of breeds with featherlegs.

What shape was the chicken? More horizontal, more verticle, lanky, round, tall, short, ...? How heavy was the foot feathering? Any othere distnguishing features?

4. RossonRanch

RossonRanch Hatching

Jun 17, 2009
    Thrall, Texas
    I saw it at Pioneer Farms in Austin Texas...

It was very short and round, fat...There were so many feathers you couldn't see between the legs...Solid black no other color....

It look like it had dress on....

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The website feathersite has photos of just about any kind of chicken. It may have been a cochin, they're pretty round and have feathered legs.

6. Huny

Huny Songster

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    Almost sounds like a cochin. It was straight feathers, not curly ones right?

7. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

My guess would be bantam cochin, if you said it wasn't overly big looking - bantam cochins don't look too small because of the feathers - sort of in between a large fowl and a bantam size. (without their feathers they would look very small, though).

I love how cochins look when they run - it is funny to see them waddle.

meri

8. RossonRanch

RossonRanch Hatching

Jun 17, 2009
    Thrall, Texas
    yeah straight

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

10. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Songster

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME