I am looking for a specific game rooster in Oklahoma.

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by okchickenfarmer, Sep 10, 2008.

1. okchickenfarmer

okchickenfarmer New Egg

Sep 10, 2008
    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    I want a pumpkin haulsey. I have some haulsey hens, but no rooster. I may be interested in something else to cross with them if anyone has any ideas.

thanks, Cory

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    if you can't find a pumpkin hulsey, you may also want to try yellow birchens, they're the same color. try looking on one of the auction sites like oakridgegamefarm or gamerooster.

3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    They had one on eggbid awhile back. Under adult birds.

4. okchickenfarmer

okchickenfarmer New Egg

Sep 10, 2008
    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    Well, I looked at the three sites above and I could only find a haulsey hen, but that is further than I was when I started. I guess my hens are crossed with something else because I only have one hen that lookes like she is full haulsy. The other hens have the right color only on there belly side. All the other feathers aredarker.

5. okchickenfarmer

okchickenfarmer New Egg

Sep 10, 2008
    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    Does anyone have any yellow birchen roo or srag for sale? They do look similar.

Or any game roo or stags that looks like this. Also I have one hen that lookes exactly like this.
    [​IMG]

6. Vcomb

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    Quote:not all the hens will show that rich pumpkin color. not all cocks of that line will come out colored like the pics you've posted either. there is variation. just out of curiosity, what's your price range? might be able to lead you to someone if you're in the right price range.

7. okchickenfarmer

okchickenfarmer New Egg

Sep 10, 2008
    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    I am probably not in the price range. $15 or so. I know I am cheap, But if I wait I may have one in the brood box. I cant tale yet.

8. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Hey OKchickenfarmer head on over to the OKie thread there are a few people there that may be able to help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23736&p=242

I have heard something about these birds in the last 2 days but I have so much chicken, rabbit goat stuff going on I can't seem to remember where on which board.

9. Vcomb

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    Quote:well i wish ya luck on the one in the brooder box. even with a lot of folks getting out of gamefowl now i wouldn't bet you'd be able to find one for that kinda money. sometimes you can though. first games i had i got lucky and got them for about $6 a piece right after oklahoma outlawed it. other then that pretty much any gamefowl i've bought the cocks have run between $100-200. i'd like to help ya out, but i don't raise pumpkins.

if it helps, try doing searches for pumpkin whitehackles, greek fires, and canary birchens. it'll expand your search while keeping you within the color you're after.

10. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    I'll pm ya a site to look at a feller that raises birchens....you probably ain't in the right price range, but you'll get to see what color the birchens bring to the table. If ya contact someone, don't talk price, talk chickens...you may just make a friend and have fowl coming your way for alot less. An excellent way to learn how to better care for your gamefowl too, getting an experienced chicken mans tips and tricks...good luck with your search....

cb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by