I am looking for mallard and wood duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jaybee337, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Jaybee337

Jaybee337 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2012
    New Iberia Louisiana
    Is there a reliable place online or locally here in Louisiana. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Right now I have mallard ducks and I was womdering if wood ducks were a harder breed to care for. I have read many articles, but I am looking for personal experiences.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. I have Mallards laying but do not have any hatching eggs available right now. You might want to try the BST section. Also I don't believe many people sell wood duck eggs because they are quite fragile. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

3. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Wood ducks are very different to raise than mallards. The best way is to start woodies ducklings with mallard duckling to get the woodies to start eating, that and offering live food. They'll climb out of any brooder without a secure top, and find any hole to escape. I am unaware of anyone reliable who sells wood duck eggs because they are more delicate than mallard eggs to hatch. I raise wood ducks and have for years. I'm in Lafayette.

Clint

4. Jaybee337

Feb 13, 2012
    New Iberia Louisiana
    I don't think I am ready to raise wood ducks yet. I just started basically just wants to know why they were so expensive. Oh so you are local. Do you know somewhere I can get eggs to hatch?

5. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    If you're not ready, why are you asking about eggs? I don't know qayone reputable who would sell wood duck eggs.

Clint

6. Jaybee337

Feb 13, 2012
    New Iberia Louisiana
    I wanted mallard eggs but would buy wood duck eggs if someone had some for sale locally.

7. dukzzz

dukzzz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    do the mallard eggs have to be pure breed?

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Contact LAmike here on BYC, he is in your state and raises migratory birds (which is what you are looking for) and can help you on a local level with the birds as well as needed permits to have them.

9. Jaybee337

Feb 13, 2012
    New Iberia Louisiana
    The eggs do not have to be pure bred. Tha k you for the info I will contact lamike.

10. lilly123

lilly123 New Egg

Apr 22, 2014
    Do you have any breeding pairs of wood ducks for sale? I can go to Lafayette to pick them up. We have a pond.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by