I am looking for quail breeding pen designs, can you help me?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CHICKENHEAD, Jul 13, 2008.

1. CHICKENHEAD

CHICKENHEAD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    I have searched everywhere and I cant find any good quail breeding pen designs. I am wanting one that is stackable and can hold about 4 females and 1 male. I also want the pen to have a slide out tray for the droppings. Does anyone have any pictures of yours, or can you share some plans for one?

2. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's mine, the night I finished it (well, it's never quite finished....! 4' wide, 2' deep, each floor is about 12" tall. The middle floor is removable, and I'm having dropping trays built by a friend. The back wall is actually a double door, that I'll open very seldom. There are now access doors on each side, and a light bulb on each floor. It's not one in which the eggs will roll out, but I've since made a nesting area that they seem to be using (they are too young, yet), and I'll be able to retrieve eggs from the access door.

I have 5 near adults on top, and 11 on the bottom.

Not fancy, but functional.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a view with the back doors open.

[​IMG]

3. CHICKENHEAD

CHICKENHEAD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    That is a nice pen. I am wanting one that I can put up against the wall. What kind of dimensions would I need for each level to hold 5 quail in one cage?

4. PortugalBreeder

PortugalBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Yes I can help, check out mine, https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407931
    Mine
    has:
    -a nesting box area,
    -dust bath container,
    -auto waterer that never get dirt, because is about 4inches from the ground
    -auto feeder,
    -hardware cloth ground, that stays clean all the time.

The pen can be running for about a month without any intervention, then it needs more water and can run for another month, before changing the next chips, and add more feed.

Good luck on yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by