I am looking to buy 2 chicks. Does anyone know where in IL?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by sky, Mar 30, 2008.

1. sky

sky New Egg

Feb 23, 2008
    I have three questions for all you experts.

1. Where I can buy two chicks in IL. I would like to pick up.

2. Will the chickens be safe from each other if I have only one bird that is a different breed, or do I need to buy two of the same breed?

3. How old are the chicks before you can tell the sex.

Thanks

2. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    question #1, You can try your local tractor supply or theisens. Or look in the swap thread and try the Kankakee swap. There is a swap every month and if that is to far from you there might be others closed.

#2 Different breed will be fine together.

#3 there are some chickens that are sex links and you can sex them right away. Otherwise it is a toss up for a first timer unless you find a sale that has sexed chicks. Good luck, Jenn

3. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Hi Sky! Welcome to BYC!!!! Howdy neighbor, I'm in Il also. What area are you in?

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I may have some Spitzhauben chicks for sale, but straight run.

5. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Where are you in Illinois? I'm in the Illinois Quad Cities area and we go pick up our chicks at Schlecht's Hatchery in Miles, Iowa. It's about 60 miles from us, but worth the beautiful river valley drive to get there. I'm going up tomorrow afternoon (Thursday_3 April). If you are close to me, I'd be happy to pick some up for you, if Schlecht's has what you want.

6. sky

sky New Egg

Feb 23, 2008
    Thanks to all, I am in 30 min south of Chicago. I will try the Kankakee route, thats not to far. I am not sure what the Schalts is, I will look it up. Thanks again.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I got a friend in Wateska, IL that has some of my birds for sale. PM me if interested!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by