i am looking to buy roosting poles for my chicken coops/ houses please!! thank you very much, rennea

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ilvsilkiies2012, Dec 13, 2012.

1. ilvsilkiies2012

ilvsilkiies2012 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    [​IMG] hi, iam looking to buy roosting poles for my chicken coops/ houses please asap. thank you very much, rennea.

2. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    No need to purchase when you can re-purpose. I have seen people use tree branches, 2x lumber, closet poles, wood flag poles etc. Encourage you to use what have on hand and the chickens will be thrilled as long as they can keep their toes covered when they are roosting. Peace :>

1 person likes this.
  3. ilvsilkiies2012

ilvsilkiies2012 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    thank you very much for giving me that very useful information. i will see what i have outside, and around the house that i can use for roosting poles. thanks again very much, rennea.

4. hollys chooks

hollys chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

This is what my girls roost on. It is 90mm wide (about 3 1/2 inches). The edges are rounded off so there are no sharp bits.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello again and welcome aboard - I agree with kacklinkelly - reuse if possible! Best of luck!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

A 2x4 piece of lumber layed with the wide side flat works best for roosting, the flat surface is easy to sit on, the birds don't have to constantly grip, and they can pull their feet up under if it is cold out.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, I use natural tree branches, 2x4s and some left over wood tree stakes.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I use 2x2's for roosting. I have offered 2x4s as mentioned, but they avoided them like the plague. 2x2s or tree branches are the favourites of my birds.

[​IMG]

10. Kristin Brown

Kristin Brown Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2012
    Arvada, Colorado
    I suggest using lumber or tree branches, like other members mentioned. Do not use PVC or metal piping. Chickens need a roost with texture - which offers a way for them to grip and will not be intensely cold in winter. If you can, try multiple roost levels in a ladder formation. Just be sure it will not interfere with the space you need to move about to adequately clean the coop.

A tree branch I upcycled for use as a roost:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by