I am looking to pick the brain of a west coast breeder of wilds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Redwood Violet, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Redwood Violet

Redwood Violet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    Humboldt County, CA
    I am interested in finding out a little information from folks who have raised exotics and wilds. I've done some research on Mandarins and wood ducks and feel like I have a pretty clear idea to have a stable start with them. However, I am also interested in taking on green wing teals. I can't seem to find much information out there on raising gwt, so I'm hoping someone here can offer some suggestions on ideal aviaries, diets, and maybe a clue about how to pursue purchasing a breeding pair or two plus wrangling government paperwork. I currently have a flock of 29, which include two black east indies, some cayuga, welsh harlequins, pekins, runners, and swedes in various colors. I keep my bantams separate from my full sized birds at night, but their crate is only temporary while I overhaul an old brush eaten farm enclosure to house small ducks. Once I get all my connections made and pen built, I hope to have a pair of mandarins, a pair of woodies, a pair of gwt, and another ble or two. Give or take. If they work out well I might expand my operation a bit. [​IMG]

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I'm sure you already know you cannot keep the domestics and ornamental/migratory birds together. In my signature there is a link to my aviary page where there is many good ideas. Also here is a link to the migratory and ornamental waterfowl thread where there is some really good info and some experts to help you out with the diets and some good breeders who have fair prices. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=345303&p=1

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  3. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    oops duplicate

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  4. Redwood Violet

Redwood Violet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    Humboldt County, CA
    The thread with all the aviary ideas is what actually got me to join BYC. There are some awesome ideas and photos! It's true, I know you can't keep the little birds with the big birds. That's why I'm building another aviary. Thanks for the direction to the wilds link. I found it after I had posted here >.> but sometimes that's how it is. [​IMG]

5. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Was the the aviary thread that got you to join byc the one in my link? hehe if so i am going to be responsible for your byc addiction. I know it sounds weird but i started off being on here every once in a blue moon, now im on here every day.

6. waterdog

waterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Michigan
    I agree they should not be housed with the domestics. Woodies, Mandarins and teal will do alright together. The Greenwings are pretty easy to keep and to breed they do well on a duck pellet and will nest in ground nest boxes or in natural grass. Woodies and Mandarins will try to cross but as far as I know the eggs will not be fertile, we have found if keeping woodies and mandarins together if you keep just pairs of each with no extra drakes or hens they stayed paired well.

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    glad to see you are interested in the migratory waterfowl. The thread Kansaskid linked you should answer most any question you have, if you do have more, feel free to ask away, either here or there, will be glad to help.
    Washington state and Oregeon have tons of breeders out that way, not many I know of in CA though, but with todays shipping practices, you can get them from anywhere in the country very safely in the fall.

As for the mixing, that's covered in the other thread too, there are certain speices in this group that just about have to be seperated due to aggressive behavior, but never , ever mix wilds with any type of domestic, even calls, even if the domestics didnt bully them, they would cross breed everything you had, that or keep the males from breeding your hens.

As for the Federal paperwork, it's no big deal, easy to get, listed under the
    U.S. Fish and Wildlife Sevice Permits Section/ Migratory Waterfowl Sales and Disposal Permit

Just google that and it will take you right to it, it's not required to own or breed them, but if you intend to sell or give them away, or dispose of them in any manner to anther person, you have to have it.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by