I am losing all my chicks :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lady~Araucana, May 21, 2010.

1. Lady~Araucana

Lady~Araucana Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Yesterday my husband found one of our 6 week SLW's dead in the larger brooder pen that we have. Then this morning we lost 3 more SLW's and 1 of our Black Jersey Giants. THey are all the same age and in the same pen seperated from the other chickens. I noticed that there was bloody poop on the ground and started doing some reading and i think they might have Cocci. I ran to TSC and got some Corid and started treatment. Got home later this evening and went to check on them and they all seem very sick but all were alive. Went back about a hour later and found another SLW had past [​IMG] . I am so afraid that i am going to lose them all. Is there anything else i can do, is it to late?

2. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I am new to chicks this year, but what about the medicated feed?

3. Lady~Araucana

May 17, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    They are on medicated Chick starter and have been since we brought them home. I am in shock as we have had chickens for many years and have never had this happen, i just went out and checked on them and another one of the SLW's was dead [​IMG] that is 6 SLW's and a BJG gone in 2 days. My heart breaks for them, i am wish there was more i could do!

4. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    That's odd! I thought medicated chick feed specifically targeted cocci! Are you sure that's what they have? Do you see anything else besides the bloody poop?

ETA - I'm sorry this is happening to you! I can't imagine how sad that must be [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  5. Lady~Araucana

May 17, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I have been watching them and have looked them over and the only thing i can find not right is the bloody stools. They all seem very lethargic and all go to one corner to sleep or just stand there. They arnt eating well at all but when i put the waterer in there with the corid in it they were all drinking. I am so confused!

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  6. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    I think that your on the right track... cocci will make them thirsty... keep up the treatment as directed and hopefully the rest will recover... [​IMG]

7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I had a couple that weren't doing well a few days after the hatch. Doing as you said, just sitting there with their little heads down. But, I didn't see any bloody poo. I found out that the others weren't too bossy for them to get to the water or feeder. I seperated them, let them eat and drink on their own, which they did, until they were stronger...my chicks do get the medicated feed...sorry, I know this is different than yours, but not sure if you have them with older chickens? I read somewhere in this forum, that sugar..and something else??? can't remember the combination, in the water sometimes picks them up.
    Good luck. sorry again..it's so sad to see them die. [​IMG]

8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    you can put powdered milk in their feed anout 1/8 powdered milk to starter feed to help coat the intestines and get them to stop bleeding while you do the other treatment. it helps a lot.

9. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Yeah...it does sound like cocci. [​IMG] I hope you can bring the rest back around!

10. Lady~Araucana

May 17, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    They are sperated from all the older Chickens, and i am gonna try to pick up some powdered milk tomorow. Praying that the Corid will kick in very soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by