I am losing my mind!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Whitney13, May 27, 2010.

1. Whitney13

Whitney13 Songster

May 14, 2010
    Malvern, AR
    My baby chicks are supposed to be here tommorrow morning [​IMG] and I am like a kid on Christams Eve waiting for Santa to get here. I can't consintrate on anything because I remember I might have forgoten something in the brooder. I even burnt my icing for my cake I was makeing and I have never burnt anything to do with my cakes before since I usually sit in the kitchen the entire time I am cooking but I had to check and see if the temperature was still 95' in the brooder![​IMG] So I am going to make a list and someone please put my mind at ease and tell me I haven't forgoten anything and if I have forgoten tell me that too. [​IMG]

Okay I have the brooder set up with pine shavings with paper towels over them. I have checked my heat source and it stays a constant 95'f but I can raise it to cool it off to 80'f and then they move outside because it will be the middle of summer and not get below 75'f at night. I have food at ground level for them and a feeder set up right beside it so they can learn were their food is. I have disenfected the brooder, the feeder, the waterer, and anything else that goes in the brooder with bleach water and then rinsed it really good. I then made a little "nest" in one corner out of pine shavings and some feathers(from a duster, my grandma might get mad if she found the entire duster in the brooder so I borrowed a couple feathers) hanging from the top of the brooder.

Is this everything or am I forgetting somthing? I feel like I am running in circles here! [​IMG]

2. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    OH I am so happy for you. You did forget ONE thing.....Try to get some sleep tonight! [​IMG] Everything else sounds great! Remember if they seem a little too hot to raise the light! Your setup sounds GREAT! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  3. Whitney13

Whitney13 Songster

May 14, 2010
    Malvern, AR
    I got them!! I will post pictures in a couple minutes!

4. KingSpeck

KingSpeck In the Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    Congrats on your new babies! I don't know how many chicks you got but sometimes when we only have a few we put a snuggly stuffed animal in with them. They really like it and sleep right up against it like it's their momma. Not necessary, but cute.

5. Now get ready to wear a path to the brooder because you are checking on the 100 times a day. Good luck! Chicks are a lot of fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by