I am loving this place!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lizzy14, Jun 12, 2011.

1. lizzy14

lizzy14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Rochester area/WNY
    Hello, everyone. My husband and I are hoping to start keeping a small number chickens in the next year or so. We are in the planning phase now and want to get the coop all done before we start purchasing chicks. We'd like to have the coop built by the end of August, but I don't know if that will be a feasible time to get chicks... If not, then we will get them next spring I guess. I am learning so much here - it is just an invaluable resource and I'm sure it will continue to be as I come across more and more questions that I have!
    We'd like to have 4 or 5 hens, decent layers, and overall friendly and docile. The breeds I've noted so far that may fit those criteria are: Americauna, Araucana, Dominique, New Hampshires, Orphingtons, Plymouth Rock (are these the same as Barred Rock?), Sussex, and Welsumer. So if any of you know of any breeders who may have chick available in the late summer in my area - Upstate NY Finger Lakes region, please let me know! Or perhaps you have some breed recommendations?
    For a coop, I'm thinking 6x6 with an attached run, and I'd like to build a tractor next spring for some garden foraging. We have a two-level swingset/playhouse that I keep staring at thinking how it would make a great coop. But that would mean finding a used swingset for my daughters to replace that!
    Well, I will be seeing you all around as I continue my new journey!

2. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

3. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    [​IMG] from California! Colored eggs are always fun so I'm partial to "ameraucanas" . . . but I hear that Orpingtons are very nice. Good luck in your chickendeavors!

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good choices, Wyandottes are also good layers. [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Yep, they're the same thing. . . Plymouth Rock is the breed & Barred Rock is a specific coloring within the breed [​IMG] Good luck on your chicken adventure [​IMG]

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    Hello [​IMG] And welcome from Ohio! [​IMG] Yes! It's a great place to be!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by