I am mad at all of you. Keeping secrets like this from us newbies(jk)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeatherLynn, May 27, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Why did no one tell me to get polish chicks before. I heard about silkies over and over and over and over. And yes I love my silkie teenager even though he is still a bit scruffy looking. No one bragged about polishes though. They are so adorable I can barely stand it. Even in the ugly my crest is sticking up like devil horns phase they are cute.

I think it should be mandatory to tell all newbies about breeds that will make them addicted that much faster. So are there downsides to the breed. I have read about them but have seen nothing negative. Went to a site dedicated to them. Made me want more of the little buggers. Are they fragile like a silkie or hardy like my BO's. How long do I have to wait till I get a glimpse of what they will look like as adults. My biggest one right now has a spiky mohawk. I think he is a boy. Just a hunch. The next biggest has a spiky blonde afro look going on. She had a puffy head before but its gotten even puffier. So dang cute. BIG Hair is back in my chicken coop. How winter hardy are they. Should the hubby start making them an insulated coop now cause I will buy more. Its just a given. Do they struggle with the heat? Will a mister be enough help for them?

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. kipoley

kipoley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    BFE Assyria, MI
    What??? I should get polish too??? They didn't tell me either!!!
    ~Kimberly

3. meepitqueenie

meepitqueenie Gallo's Poultry Haven

May 26, 2010
    in the adirondacks
    What color are yours? I snuck some polish in my order... LOL... when hubby wasn't lookin... now he likes them.
    though i have no idea yet if any of them are roosters yet. though they are gaining all male like names... LOL.
    we have a bill and a mr T.

I have golden laced polish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I think they are a gold laces and a buff maybe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't sneak. I squealed and said I'll take em. The guy even argued with me that they were not polish and I said I don't care I want them and my husband just held is hand out for the box.

5. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    [​IMG] I knew about polish... see my avatar... they are my absolute fav! I have 4 baby bantams... and one year old. Princess Wilamena is my baby... see pics...

She has dinner with us most nights...

[​IMG]

Her first egg...

[​IMG]

She loves my mother's potato salad...

[​IMG]

Always wanting to know what I'm doing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here she as a baby...

[​IMG]

6. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Thats it. I am going to have to get more in the fall. I need to order more wood to be milled so the hubby can expand things a bit.

7. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    Polish truly are to dumb to be considered a chicken. They are so stupid that they cant even survive with the other chickens. They scratch at the water dish until they tip it, like they found food. They cant see their feet, let alone predators. & They get lost really easy. They make a better caged bird than free ranger. Their really a poor choice for a newby chicken owner. You'll see!

[​IMG]

8. Buugette

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    You should see her... she waits for my DD to open the sliding door and comes running in. Makes a b-line for either my chair (if I'm in it) or bangs a left and heads into the sun room and jumps up on HER chair (which is covered with a chicken blanket)... she prefers to spend the night in the sun room in the little rabbit hutch I have (cause it is too cold in the winter and I'm not comfortable leaving them outside). Yes, I spoil my babies. The other girls like being outside... but Wilamena prefers to "visit" the outside, and spend her time inside on something soft. Watch out... they become spoiled very easily. She even strolls into the kitchen to see what my DH is cooking for dinner and will ask for a before dinner snack. He doesn't even allow the dogs in the kitchen when he is cooking... but the chicken... well that's another story. Besides, if he chases her out one door, she just runs around to the other and is back in the room before he is. [​IMG]

It is really funny to watch him argue with her... she always wins.

D

9. Buugette

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Quote:Oh, speak for your own polish... you want to talk dumb, though I love silkies... their lights are on but no one is home. My Wilamena is very smart and seems to learn something new every day. She even knows her name and comes when called She can be sound asleep on her chair, I can walk in the room... say "come on Wilamena... its dinner time... and she jumps off the chair and goes over to her "table" and waits patiently for her plate to be set in front of her.

I can also call her over, she will jump on my lap and snuggle down, no food involved.

She will play hide and seek with my hubby... tries to sneak past him to run down the hall to the other rooms. He will holler her name and she will immediately turn around and go back out into the sun room. She will then sneak back in, check to see if he is in his chair or perhaps on the couch. If she doesn't see him she will head back down the hall looking for me.

I have been amazed by her problem solving... you can almost see her little mind working out the problem and figuring out how to get what or where she wants.

Perhaps they are just like people... some are smart and some are a little slower that the others... [​IMG]

Diana

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  10. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I can't free range anyway so thats not a big issue. 40 acres and I can't free range due to dogs. Too many neighbors including my sister have bird killing dogs running wild. Anywho right now they are company for my lonely silkie. He got along with my regulars really well but I was to worried about putting him out and him not being ready to handle the coop yet. So he is still inside with the polish. So I guess my newly built silkie coop will do well for the polish too then. The kids love them. They perch on our shoulders. They have not been bad yet about being too messy. No waters tipped yet and they are little piggies when its food time. They eat everything and wait for more. Cute little pooping machines. They love the silkie though even though he/she is bigger. So I am assuming kinda fragile like the silkie then.

In the regular coop I already have a mystery roo and 4 red laying hens. Along with 13 teenage chicks in the outdoor baby coop. BR's BO's RIR SLW and a brown leghorn. I just love variety. This is my second year and I just now found out about polish so I am really excited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by