1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am making silkie coops this month, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SilkieGirl, Nov 6, 2011.

1. SilkieGirl

SilkieGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Morristown
    I will be renovating my entire setup of older cages and building new coops for the breeds I have settled on raising. I will be raising silkies(main one) brahmas and cornish all of which are bantams. If anyone has some tips or ideas that could help me out that would be awesome. [​IMG]

2. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
  3. SilkieGirl

Jun 28, 2011
    Morristown
    That one is awesome, I already have the building im not using so I can start on it tomorow, will be perfect for wintering birds over since it gets really cold and really muddy here. My cornish cant fly either so i guess the same would work for them too. Thanks so much for telling me about that [​IMG]

4. SilkieGirl

Jun 28, 2011
    Morristown
    Does anyone know a good design for smallish pair coops?

5. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    Quote:3x4x3 box with the front 1/2" mesh and the rest wood....these are what my cages for pairs of bantams are.

6. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I ended up making a small bantam coop in my shed.

It's just a 4x4 box with an 8' run. We built it in a day.

I raked up a bunch of leaves and put it in the run and I had dried grass to add to the coop.

It's only 4' high, so the tops of the run lift off to allow me to stand up if I need to clean it out or something.

I put wire and gravel around the bottom edges.

These pics were taken before finishing the bedding, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by