I am moving...How do I transport my chickens?

poohberri04

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Clearlake, ca
I am moving in a few days and I have been reading posts about how to transport chickens. I have two White Plymouth Rock chickens. I read to find a box they would fit snugly in and put holes in it for air or find a cat carrier. They will be in the car for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Is that too long for them to be in a box? Also, If any one knows about how my type of chickens deal with cold weather and snow, please let me know. They will be in a a coop of course. I was just wondering if they would be in need of a heat lamp or if they fair well in cold weather. Thank you in advance for any help.

I've transported mine in poultry cages in the back of a truck. If its cold Ive been known to throw a shipping blanket over the cage, leaving ventilation. In the heat I would be careful not to put too many in a cage so they don't overheat and stress. I also use something to block too much wind. Stop occasionally and offer water and treats.

Folks take their birds to poultry shows up to 12 hours or more away. No problem. But they are prepared. I transport birds down and back, a few times a year, for a 13 hours drive.

Any transport box, with good holes for air is just fine. Proper kennel crates also work just fine. I think they travel better if it is a bit dark.

One serious concern. I always travel in spring or fall, when temps are much cooler. Last year, I made an August run down and back, but I did it after sunset and drove through the night down and did the same on the way back. Hope that helps.

A four trip is a piece of cake. They won't need food or water for such a short trip.

Last edited:
Since you are moving in a few days, the birds will have lots of time to slowly, slowly adjust to colder weather, along with the rest of us humans. It's so stinking hot here right now I'd love to awake to a few inches of snow. What a dream. Back to 91F and heat index well north that again tomorrow.

In short, Rocks were tailor made for cold weather. Plymouth Rock. Plymouth!!! Think New England from whence they were first made. hahaha. They'll be just fine.

Folks take their birds to poultry shows up to 12 hours or more away. No problem. But they are prepared. I transport birds down and back, a few times a year, for a 13 hours drive.

Any transport box, with good holes for air is just fine. Proper kennel crates also work just fine. I think they travel better if it is a bit dark.

One serious concern. I always travel in spring or fall, when temps are much cooler. Last year, I made an August run down and back, but I did it after sunset and drove through the night down and did the same on the way back. Hope that helps.

A four trip is a piece of cake. They won't need food or water for such a short trip.

Thank you for that information. I have 10 hens and 1 rooster. I am making a 12 hour trip From FL to GA. Nighttime driving seems the way to go. I just don't know if my husband and I can stay awake to drive all night. We usually switch driving every 100 miles, about 1 1/2 hours. What's a transport box? Can food and water be placed in a transport box? Could I double decker the boxes to get them in a van? I have a few months to figure this out.

Back
Top Bottom