I am needing help on temperature to put chicks out ,my chicken house will be draft free and i havevan oil filled heater i can use in the chicken house

Judykaymayes

Songster
Mar 2, 2023
I am needing help on temperature to put chicks out ,my chicken house will be draft free and i have an oil filled heater i can use in the chicken house our temp are in the 50 -60 degrees and my chicks were hatched around 2/ 26.
Thank you, Judy Mayes

Last edited:
That would make your chicks five weeks old? It would sure help to know your location. We're pretty good at gleaning a lot of information from location - climate, predators, cultural limitations on care and treatment, etc.

Generally, chicks can move into a coop without heat once they have feathered out, as long as they have been weaned off heat and acclimatized to cooler temps.

See?

Montezuma, IN
Weather averages

Overview

Graphs

MonthHigh / Low(°F)Rain

April67° / 43°9 days

May77° / 53°9 days

June85° / 62°8 days

July88° / 66°7 days

Yep, 5 weeks old tomorrow. Thanks for that information, it helps us. I've had chicks 5-1/2 weeks old spend the night without heat in the mid 20's Fahrenheit. They may not have been real happy but they survived without a problem. Mine were acclimated but as warm as your temperatures are I don't think that acclimating is necessary. It won't hurt.

As long as you can safely put that heater out there it will not hurt anything. Hopefully you have enough ventilation it won't overheat them during the day. To me the only benefit in putting the heater out there is that it will make you feel better. There is a benefit in that if it stops you worrying. I can't see it doing any harm.

Back
Top Bottom