I am nervous

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Francischick, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Francischick

Francischick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    mississippi
    I set 25 eggs around the 12th then my dogs got all but 3 of my chickens. I set 6 more so I should have a staggered hatch. My temps are driving me crazy going from the perfect temp to 102 what is too high for the eggs. they go into lock down on the 27th I am counting on this hatch to get my flock back. I hated that it happened I only had 8 hens but i was getting over 2 dozen eggs a week. Now I have to start all over again. The only good thing is the attack hasn't seem to effect the 3 that are left I am still getting a few eggs. Any advice on the temps I have to figure out how to get my humidity up also. but its staying in the 40ish and 50ish% just have to get it high for lockdown.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm So Sorry for your lose. Did you calibrate your thermometer and hygrometer so, you know if, they are accurate? Do you have more than one thermometer and hygrometer in with the eggs? Can you adjust your thermostat on your incubator? Do you have any heat-sinks in your incubator to help it's temp to be more stable? If you have a accurate thermometer and hygrometer make a very small adjustment to your thermostat and wait a hour and then check temp again. When you add eggs the internal temp in the incubator can change - normally lowers for a bit until eggs get up to temp. Don't adjust the thermostat for several hours - just walk away. Your humidity should be fine for now but, do you have a second incubator to transfer the first eggs into for the last 3 days and needed higher humidity?

3. Francischick

Francischick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    mississippi
    No I think it might be time to invest in a new bator. I candled them and i thought 3 were bad so I took them out. Nothing doing i had to chrack them open one was a dud and the other had a baby chick and just hurt my feelings fo bad i put the third back in with the others. My Mom hatched some with this bator not using a themostat or anything and everything went ok I am just a worry wart if its meant to be it will all work out. If nothing else Easter is right around the corner and the Feed store always has babies come in.

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm sorry. Don't feel bad [​IMG] The third one might be good [​IMG] If I'm not 100 % sure they stay in the incubator - I've had ones I couldn't see in and they went into lock down with the others - I broke them open After all the others had hatched and I was sure. I would smell them when I tried to candle to make sure they smelled ok. Just know - The hens make it look soo easy but, incubating is not so simple and there is a learning curve. Unfortuately we all make mistakes but it's OK. Just remember even a broody doesn't always get them all to hatch everytime. TSC has incubators and turners on sale now too. And the chicks are So Cute!!! But, Hatching your own is fun - you could get another incubator, collect more and set more eggs and see if, they hatch. Chick Days just started - you still have time to go that route if you need to. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by