i am never candling again

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Berynn, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I dropped an egg last week that was a dud, last night it was a good egg. I am never candling again, if the egg smells or is dripping I will just throw it away. Last night I dropped a perfect chick in an egg. I learned what was inside the egg.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Don't be so hard on yourself! I've done the same thing...wasn't as far along as yours was, but it was alive and developing. I did it when I was rushing....now I take my time a lot more.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've dropped an egg on day 18 before and the poor chick was moving... Didn't make it even when taped back up.

It happens. Don't beat yourself up over it.

If you get a high powered flashlight, just candle them in the incubator. No moving eggs, no chance of dropping them.
    [​IMG]

4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    it has happened to us all just slow down and be carefull

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Don't be too hard on yourself, I've opened live ones that I thought were dead. At least it was an accident. It's part of the hatching risks we take.

But, if you really don't want to candle, there are quite a few people who don't. I only do it b/c I want to see what's happening in there. I have left my own eggs in full term and never candled. I have never had one explode.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by