I am new here and need some advice...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MrsD, Feb 19, 2017.

1. MrsD

MrsD New Egg

Feb 19, 2017
    We have 7 original hens who just started laying. We gradually introduced 9 more younger ones that were almost the same size. They have gotten over the picking/pecking on each other. Our problem now is when the newer ones go in the coop for the night they go into a couple of the nesting boxes and pile up to sleep. They don’t get up on the roost! They are staggered in height and there’s more than enough room for all of them. How do I make the get on the roosts & stop pooing in the nesting boxes?? Thanks!!

2. rooster58

rooster58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2016
    Upstate NY

Start by going out after dark and placing them on roost. Try that for a few nights and see if it works.

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, MrsD, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you aboard! I agree with the advice of rooster58 - also are the roosts higher than the nest boxes? That's important. Best of luck and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC. Good advice above. I'd also block off the nest boxes before dark they are no longer an option.

Best wishes
    CT

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under MrsD [​IMG] Welcome!

I agree with the great advice you have received so far and wish you all the best. A combination of blocking off the nest boxes and popping them on the roost should do the trick.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    [​IMG]

9. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Hello and :welcome! I'm so glad you joined us here and I hope you enjoy it just as much as the rest of us do! You've been given some great advice already! Best of luck on your continuing journey with chickens!

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to the forum! I'm so glad you joined BYC, please make yourself at home here, and enjoy all the chickeny folks! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by