I am new here. Can you explain to me what an "Online Poultry Show" is?

Little Farm Girl

Songster
Sep 6, 2018
I have hatched, rescued, and raised many birds. My brother and I now have a flock of about 50 adult chickens, 10 juvenile LF Cochins, 7 Muscovies, 2 Cayuga ducks, 1 turkey, and 50 eggs in my incubator.

This will be my first time hatching chicks to show, all my others have been layer breeds. There are Silkies, Polish, Ayam Cemani, bantam polish, and in my incubator to show. I've never showed chickens before, but have read about it and watched a few videos. Any tips for showing chickens would be great! Also, what is an online show and how does it work?

Last edited:
I don't know if there are "official" online shows, but sometimes on BYC a member knowledgeable in the breed standard will host an online show for a specific breed. They will request certain photos from certain angles and maybe some information about the chicken/duck and have a deadline for entry. They will then judge the birds according to the SOP. It can be a good way to get feedback on how closely your birds meet the SOP and what their flaws may be. It also can be a way for you to learn which of your birds is the best show quality, which is worth breeding in the future, etc.

I have hatched, rescued, and raised many birds. My brother and I now have a flock of about 50 adult chickens, 10 juvenile LF Cochins, 7 Muscovies, 2 Cayuga ducks, 1 turkey, and 50 eggs in my incubator.

This will be my first time hatching chicks to show, all my others have been layer breeds. There are Silkies, Polish, Ayam Cemani, bantam polish, and in my incubator to show. I've never showed chickens before, but have read about it and watched a few videos. Any tips for showing chickens would be great! Also, what is an online show and how does it work?
I don't have an "official" contest up but I do have two contests up now. I have a silkie contest up and a single combed chicken contest up and that contest has a first place prize.

I don't have an "official" contest up but I do have two contests up now. I have a silkie contest up and a single combed chicken contest up and that contest has a first place prize.
That's cool! Thank you for sharing. I wish mine were old enough to enter. Let me know if you do another one in the future please!

Back
Top Bottom