I am new here. Can you help me with gender and breed please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 2kids5chicks, Aug 1, 2013.

1. 2kids5chicks

2kids5chicks New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    I am new to having chickens. We have had them since July 6. Kids and I are enjoying them very much. Can you help determine the gender of our chickens?

This is my husband's Buff orpington chicken. We named him "Jack", since we have a feeling he is a rooster.(but what do we know. lol) Definitely the dominant bird of them all. Roo or hen?

[​IMG]

ALSO, have "Diva" , my 6 yo daughter's chicken, we were told it was a Barred Rock, which we hope, hope, hope is a hen. She is a wild girl just like my daughter and has loads of character. :) Roo or hen?
    [​IMG]

Now, is my chicken. "Pearl" I was told she is an Americana/EE . She is sweet and kind and talks to me. :) Roo or Hen? Correct Breed?
    [​IMG]

Next is "miss. Kay" Told she is a Delaware. (?) My 8 yo daughter's chicken and is a bit shy and definitely is a follower. But sweet. Roo or Hen?
    [​IMG]

LAST is "Dixie" Told that she is an Austulorp (sp ?) Very shy and is hard to catch. lol. Roo or Hen? Breed?
    [​IMG]

We thank you for helping us!

Stephanie.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Jack and Diva are roosters. The rest look like pullets, conditionally lol. Pearl could be male, a shot of the comb would help, and the age of the birds if you know it. I see dark legs but without seeing head/comb it's hard to tell breed, truthfully she looks like a mixed breed bird. Miss K could be a Delaware, if so she's hatchery quality and not the best quality, but that's not really important in a back yard flock. Dixie is a silver laced Wyandotte, not an Australorp, and looks to be female at this point.

4. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    "Jack" - male

"Diva" - the comb looks big and red for so young, how old exactly? so i would say male

"Pearl" - yes, Easter Egger. she's got those blue feet. I think girl but I can't see the comb very well, could you get a side view? But, she might still be too young to tell.

"miss Kay" - female. Delaware

"Dixie" - female. I don't think it is an Australorp because she has yellow feet and Australorp's have grey feet. I would agree with donrae, she looks like a wyandotte. Lucky you, wyandottes are goregeous!

It would be easier to determine gender and everything if you have better pics of their combs. and told us their ages. Hope I'm right on these! Yours look pretty young still, so its kinda hard to tell.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  5. buckaroogirl

buckaroogirl Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Alberta
    Top two are definitely roos and the bottom is a silver laced Wyandotte. Looks exactly like my wyandottes. I'm not familiar with EEs however I don't think that one is a Delaware either.

6. 2kids5chicks

2kids5chicks New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    This is Pearl again. Up close.

[​IMG]

7. 2kids5chicks

2kids5chicks New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    Jack and Pearl are a bit older I think. We were told 3-4 weeks at the feed store back on 7/6/13. But they were already bigger than all others. Diva, Dixie and miss. K, are all about[​IMG] 8-10 weeks now. If told correctly from date of purchase. But the guy wasn't much help. :(
    Here is another close up of miss. K

8. 2kids5chicks

2kids5chicks New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    ([​IMG]
    This is Dixie, Pearl and diva.

9. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    dixie-girl
    pearl-girl (75% sure)
    diva-male

10. 2kids5chicks

2kids5chicks New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    So are roosters generally sociable?
    Jack and "diva" are the sweetest little things.
    :(
    (Wondering how long I can hide this from my husband so he doesn't get rid of them....LOL.)
    Can 2 roosters be in the same herd?
    I can't help it....I love them already.! :-/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by