I am new here, sorry to start with a question and not an introduction... I have a sick chicken and d

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kymberly, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Kymberly

Kymberly New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    We have 5 chickens, the are red sex linked laying hens. For some time one of them was broody and we stopped that by putting her in a temporary time out. She shortly went back to laying but for the last month has ceased. I noticed some extra feathers and assumed that they were molting but I got a really good look at her today and she is the only one. I want to correct what ever is ailing her before it gets out of control. She is eating and drinking, I gave her some and the others some rolled oats and she was very interested in eating them along with the others. The only symptom I can see is the loss of feathers. Does anybody know what I need to do from here?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    How old are they? Could be a partial molt or even a molt. The others could be pulling her feathers, too, although usually they eat what they pull.

3. Kymberly

Kymberly New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    I don't think the others are doing it because I haven't seen them do it and I do spend a lot of time with them. They are about 1 year old. Is it common for only one to molt at a time?

4. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    i got four that are almost a year. they will be on the 24th. red sex links go though a mini molt at around 9 month. my all did. but its usally the tail and neck feather that they loose. my coop looked like some one had a pillow fight in it.
    hope this helps

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!

6. Kymberly

Kymberly New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    YES!! Thank you, only one so far and that is where all of her feathers are missing it seems. I was worried but other than the loss of feathers she seems to be doing fine. Thank you!

7. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    she will look funny for a while. at least yours didnt start when it was in the single digets like mine did[​IMG]. all you can do is laugh when they are molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by