I am new to chickens – please help me ID my new chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hoog, May 6, 2009.

1. hoog

hoog Chillin' With My Peeps

Within a week of buying my first house and by the way the first time I lived outside a city a lady from the church gave me a bunch of two day old chickens. I didn't know anything about them or their care but thanks to this website I haven't lost any due to neglect. I got fourteen of them on April 18th and they are growing unbelievably fast. My new place has a terrible tick problem so when I went to the feed store to buy more feed I also got some brown ones that the clerk said would eat tics and a big ugly white one. I took pictures of them and I was hoping to have them identified and sexed if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

[​IMG]
    This is a shot of a part of the flock settling for a nap in the grass.

[​IMG]
    This is the big white ugly one I bought with the brown ones. It was much bigger than the yellow chicks to start but now it is about the same size. It is my daughters favorite as you can see.

[​IMG]
    This is the brown tic eater that I bought. I had four originally but my German Shepherd gave one a "mouth hug".

[​IMG]
    This is one of the twelve chicks that were given to me. They are less that three weeks but they have wing and tail feathers already and have tripled in size. They started out bright yellow but now they are mostly white.

[​IMG]
    This is my son's favorite. It is a little bigger than the others but all twelve look the same. I started with 14 one was eaten by the Jack Russell who has since learned not to mess with them and the other was born gimp and starving to death so I fed it to my Boa Constrictor.

Anyway, that’s the flock, thanks for looking and commenting.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    The big white one on the bottom looks like a cornish rock.

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am really not that good in breed wise, but I would like to welcome you to BYC.

Omran

4. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Ok, San Diego girl response - you have ticks and you still let your children go outside? ewwwh! K, we don't have them around here much and the whole idea grosses me out, more than spiders! Good Luck with chicken tick eaters!!!!!
    I would be dressed in all white with my leg and arms taped closed, but that is just me . . . my brother said he went camping and then when they got home it was tick inspection time ... again ewww!

And Welcome to BYC!

5. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    The ugly one is white turkey.The browns are bronz turkeys and the chickens are white rocks or cornish rock crosses

6. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    Look I learn something everyday!

And ticks are everywhere there is a tree! [​IMG]

Sorry but that was cute! We live under trees and though we seldom see one we know they are there....watching our every move...just waiting for the chance to ....attack![​IMG]

7. hoog

hoog Chillin' With My Peeps

To everyone thanks for the welcome, I have been perusing the site for a little while and I got the friendly welcome I expected.

To Linda in San Diego yeah the tics are terrible and disgusting the first tic we got on our daughter my wife took her to the emergency room and they laughed at her. We do a lot of outdoorsy hiking type stuff so were used to them now. Our current place has three types of tics including one that looks a lot like the dreaded deer tic. Anyway, we have gotten use to them since that first hospital incident and we all just make sure to do a tic check when we shower.

It seems the chicks I have are white or cornish rock or mix of the two and a some turkeys.

Thanks a bunch, now I think I’ll post the plans for the coop I am going to build this weekend and see if anyone has any advice for it.

Hoog

8. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    I THINK the brown one could be a kight barahma they have a football player appearence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by