1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am new to it all!!! Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Barnes4Hfun, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Barnes4Hfun

Barnes4Hfun New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Springfield, KY
    Hi as my title states I am new to the site and also new to actually raising a certain breed of chicken!!! My son has decided to join our local 4-H this year and we are all very excited to be apart of the poultry world but all we have ever had is random breeds of chickens!! We have always loved having our chickens but I have a feeling that we have now gotten into a more time consuming and greater detail aspect of poultry!! But we are ready for it and very excited to be apart of it!! The breed that my son has chosen to start raising is the Splash Marans!! But some of the sites I have been too have said they are a breed recognized by the APA and others say their not?! So now I'm a little worried that we now have a breed that isn't "really" a breed?!?!?! We need help to find out if what we have his a legitimate breed or not? And if the 4-H and other shows will recognize this as a real breed? Please help!!!![​IMG]

2. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I would write to them and ask if this breed is recognized! I have a mixed flock and I love it! Barred Rocks are a very hardy breed, so are Rhode Island Reds. There are really so many to choose from! Good luck in your 4H endeavors!! You are in for lots of fun! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I don't know how your 4-H will be but here there not that strict here as far as breeds being recognized by APA as long birds are healthy and not mixes then there good. my boys have been it in for 5 years and it has really helped them learn all about the birds. They got to help the judges this year and learned alot about how each bird is judged. Good luck[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. salkxsj

salkxsj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2013
    San Diego
    [​IMG]
    welcome to BYC from San Diego

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Barns4Hfun, and [​IMG]!! Happy you joined our community!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by