I am new to quail. To they have a high ammonia smell

Discussion in 'Quail' started by adorable, Aug 5, 2011.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Hi'
    I just put 160 jumbo quail eggs in my incubator. When i did that,i notice a funky smell coming from the eggs. Not rotten. Just different. I was reading that they have a high ammonia smell to them. I was hoping to raise them all year round. Can someone tell me if this is true . If it is kept clean is there any smell. Can you compare it to something or dose it have a smell on there own. I am new to quail . I notice that people are raising them outside because of the smell. I am worried that i will not be able to handle it as i am very sensitive to any smells.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I haven't smelt ammonia coming from eggs but if you don't clean quail cages for a while, you will smell ammonia. Quail are fast producers and pretty much eat, poop, lay, and sleep...they poop a lot [​IMG] so ammonia can build up very fast. Now for the eggs, I don't notice anything different than other eggs I incubate but I would make sure you are not incubating a bad egg.

3. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Thanks. How long is a while. Like a week?

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I clean my cages every other day but if I don't clean in a week (due to circumstances) it smells rank.

5. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    ok. They are bad then, Thanks. I guess they will all go in the freezer when there time is up. Will not keep any.

6. backyardcovey

backyardcovey Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    KC
    Read the same posts about raising them outside. We are trying a little urban homesteading. Have had 13 to 23 in the basement since spring. Coturnix are mature and laying now.

Raising them in the basement with newspaper lined drop tray below cages. As long as paper is replaced daily no problem.

Lift the lid of trash can with soiled papers after 3 days and you will remember to tie-off the trash bag and take it the main trash.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I forgot to mention, I house my quail in a barn.

8. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quail hutches get nasty fast, I wouldn't wait more than 3 days between cleanings....

But as far as eggs go, I have never noticed a smell.....

9. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I have eggs hatching right now (31 chicks out so far).. I haven't noticed a smell any different than when I hatch turkeys or chickens

10. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    ok. THanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by