i am new to raising chichens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hunter109, Apr 25, 2011.

1. hunter109

hunter109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    moscow ohio
    i was wondering if there is a amout of eegs you would get to start out with just wondering incase i want to hatch some eegs out well thanks and hope to here from you all

2. LittleMoon

LittleMoon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Depends on how much room you have really. [​IMG] and do you want them to be free range or do you plan on cooping them?

I had free range but i had issues with dogs so now we built our own coop.

If i was you and i was unsure and new, id start out with a few at first jus to see if chicken raising was for you [​IMG] Probably five pullets, and a rooster if you want him.

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I am not sure I understand the question? Are you asking how many eggs you should put into your incubator? That depends on how many chickens you would like to end up with in the end I suppose. Most often, I will put in about 25% more eggs than chickens I desire. That way you can account for the few eggs that will not hatch.
    A little forum usage hint- try using a little punctuation between thoughts and ideas, that way you will get more folks who can understand what you are asking and post answers for you. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hatch rates, for a beginning incubating owner can be low. We've had great success with the Brinsea and even novice hatch rates have been 70%. Not bad.
    Hope that helps answer your question. How many eggs can your incubator hold?

5. hunter109

hunter109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    moscow ohio
    i was just going to see how much a bator is to i need to get one still so i can get just eegs, is it more for eegs then just buying the chicks jw to well i got some chicks i ant that new to rasing chickens i mean i had them a few years ago so i was just wondering how many i should start off with in eggs and how big do bators get for hatching your own chicks out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by