I am new to raising chickens

msamalvarado

Hatching
8 Years
May 13, 2011
My name is Sam and I am relearning about chicken raising. I grew up with chickens many, many years ago. We have just brought home three 10 week old girls. One Americana, and two Rhode Island.
I am wondering when I can introduce the gals to greens. I am getting mixed reviews. Some say they are too young, and others say....go for it. May day.....I need your help.

10 week old chickens can eat anything they can get their beaks on. (within reason of course. There are things a chicken should never eat.) Make sure they have access to either dirt or grit to keep their crop clear, and let em have the greens!!! Just make sure they get a balanced crumble or pellet feed as their primary diet.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! You have come to the coolest place on the internet for chicken knowledge.

I started with chickens last summer and the people of BYC have been great. This year I have tried hatching and buying chicks for even more chickeny joy. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

Greens are fine at that age. I think the main concern would be not feeding them greens with too much calcium in them but so long as you're not dumping in a whole pile they should be good! Heaven knows, I spoil my girls rotten.

welcome-byc.gif

You can give them greens. They should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom