I am new to raising my own chicks, could use some helpful insight...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by penguin13.hw, Jun 7, 2011.

1. penguin13.hw

penguin13.hw Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Covington, WA
    My chicks, [​IMG] (if you could call them that now) are going on 3.5 weeks or so now. Out of the 12, I now have 11, one of which still has only her primary wing feathers, the rest is all fluff. [​IMG] The other girls are full winged, most have their tail feathers, and are just now getting their neck and chest feathers. They are a mixed variety of 4 Red Star, 3 Wyandottes (two are silver laced, one is golden laced) and 4 Ameraucanas. The Ameraucanas have the most feathering, followed by the Wyandottes (one of the silvers is the one who is almost all fluff), and then the Red Stars (in which they are split 50/50 on feathering. I love to sit down and talk to them, and one of the Red Stars jumps up and listens to me.[​IMG] I will upload pictures as soon as I can. Is this a normal feathering pattern, and will they all be able to go out to their coop at the same time? Thank you ahead for any helpful insight on this matter.

2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    i'd say thats pretty normal, i usually gradually decrease the heat source until i feel its appropriate and then put them outside in the daytime in a run after about a week i put them in the coop outside full time. If you notice the lesser feathered of the bunch struggling to adjust to the temperature change you can always give it a little extra time, relax, it's not always by the book [​IMG] they will be just fine [​IMG]

3. penguin13.hw

Jun 7, 2011
    Covington, WA
    Thanks for the help!![​IMG] Here in western Washington, I would love to let them run around during the day outside, but the rain...ugh... I love my girls and can't wait for nice weather.[​IMG]

4. penguin13.hw

Jun 7, 2011
    Covington, WA
    Here are my girls...[​IMG]

The listener...

[​IMG]

the one in question...

[​IMG]

and some of the rest...

[​IMG]

Oh, I forgot to mention that they are in my dad's bathroom... sorry dad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by