I am new to this forum. I had chickens years ago and have forgotten much I knew. I recently got one

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jbshorses, Mar 30, 2017.

1. jbshorses

jbshorses Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2017
    I noticed today one of my barred rocks was holding a wing funny. I picked her up and above her "hock" (that's horse hock I don't remember what it's called on a chicken) is a red swelling, small, round like a ball, feels a bit hard but I didn't press too firmly. Little twig legs. Seems careful of walking on it. The chick itself is one of the smaller ones. There are some leghorn chicks and I think orphington chicks in there too. Can anyone give me a hint as to what is wrong with her leg and what care it needs? So far none of the other chicks have started picking on her yet. She seems to be getting to food and water okay. The chicks are on the medicated chick starter and on shavings.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If it's above the hock joint (I raised dogs , so it's hocks to me too) could you mean a swelling from it's vent (pooping area). I'm wondering is it is remnants of the egg sac that nourishes them before they are hatched. Sometimes it takes a while after birth, to be absorbed. You could want the other chicks or the patient, to be pecking at it. Sometimes folks put a napkin in a coffee cup and set the chick inside. It prevents disturbance/pecking.

4. jbshorses

Mar 30, 2017
    I don't think so. Vent area looks good. This is exactly above and touching the hock. They can change quickly so will check in the morning for any change. May try a bit of triple antibiotic ointment.It seems to discourage any pecking. At least it worked well on the pasty butt ones.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I hope that you manage to solve the issue with your chick.

Best wishes
    CT

6. jbshorses

Mar 30, 2017
    Thank you Dear. I will let all you lovely people know what happens with my little girl.

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Best of luck with the little one. Thanks for joining us!

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under jbshorses [​IMG] Welcome!

Fingers crossed that all is OK with your little one and best wishes [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

9. jbshorses

Mar 30, 2017
    My little girl continues to maintain. The swelling hasn't gone away but it's gone down a little and isn't red anymore. The other chicks seem to ignore her with no pecking or jostling. She's pretty careful to appear normal to the rest. She's in with some leghorns, buffs, I think, and 4 barred like herself. I am working on getting a second cage set up so I can move her at any time if the situation changes. I am 70 and not the least bit tecky. I tried to take pics but I can't even find where they are stored if I was able to save them at all. Oh well. I can tell you they are really cute. ;=)

10. jbshorses

Mar 30, 2017
    The bump is there but not causing her too many problems. I set up a big dog cage and separated my little flock. I left my friends 5 chicks in the smaller cage and my ten in the bigger New cage. No problems. I put my new feeder and waterers in the old cage one at a time until everybody decided that they weren't chick devouring monsters. Then put them in the new cage. The chicks didn't bat an eye. The new cage was a bit daunting with all that space. But soon the larger chicks were exercizing there wings. It was just in time. There were the beginning signs of pecking and feather pulling. I have some leghorns that are bigger than the others and like to pick at the smaller chicks. All is quiet on the home front. ;=)

Can't see a thing now nor even which one it it is. ;=) Gearing up to add another bigger cage. My two that were getting pecked are doing good but they sure look funny trying to get through the bars. Apparently they each have buds they want to return to. Once every one is feathered and has body weight, we'll put them all outside in one big coop. I'm going to get those electric fences for chickens and move their ranging area around. I hope it will keep every one happy with their own nest and then all the room to roam during the day. I'm sure they'll let me know in their own way if I haven't gotten it right. Happy chicken day and thank you for all your help. I really appreciate I.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by