I am new

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JennyMelPeas, Oct 19, 2014.

1. JennyMelPeas

JennyMelPeas New Egg

Oct 19, 2014
    Hello,

I am a new member here and look forward to learning from this forum. I and my husband raise Peacocks in northwestern Wyoming. We currently have 31 Peacocks from adults to young to chicks. We are new to Peacocks but love them. We also have 3 ponies and live on a small farm. We would like to add Cochin chickens to our farm mainly because they are good broody chickens and are hardy for cold weather. We want to use them to help hatch our Peacock eggs. Thank you for adding us to your chat group.
    Jenny & Mel Broadhead
    Auburn, Wyoming

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

I know nothing about Peacocks and only some about chickens. Don't peacocks brood their own? Just curious.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like you have a lovely farm! You might also stop by our Cochin thread and do some chatting. Maybe someone there can help you find some of these gorgeous birds....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/195235/cochin-thread

Enjoy all your adventures in life and welcome to our flock!

5. JennyMelPeas

JennyMelPeas New Egg

Oct 19, 2014
    Thanks...yes they do raise their own chicks, but it really depends on the hen. Many are not very good mothers. The idea when the peacock hen has a clutch, you take the eggs away from her and put them under a broody cochin. They sit on them for 7 days, then you take them away and hatch the peacock eggs in your bator or you can let the peacock hen hatch them or let the cochin hatch them...sounds weird but a lot of peacock breeders use cochins for this reason.

6. JennyMelPeas

JennyMelPeas New Egg

Oct 19, 2014
    Thanks the peaocks are fun and yes I will be on the peacock forum too, but need to find cochins right now. I have visited the for sale page and left a few messages :)

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks for reply..very interesting.

1 person likes this.
  8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have heard this from professional breeders of peacocks....that they let a large heavy breed chicken hen do the much of the incubating. Says the hatch rate is so much better and healthier chicks too! :)

9. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

[​IMG]

Glad you joined! The peacocks sound cool! :)

1 person likes this.
  10. JennyMelPeas

JennyMelPeas New Egg

Oct 19, 2014
    Yes the big breeders do do this...if anyone wants to visit Leggs
    http://leggspeafowl.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by