I am not happy with LG's right now.-I love my LG!! Great News!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nupine, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Ok. This is what I have lost due to my dumb LG. 9 purchased silkie eggs that I really wanted, about 12 of my NN eggs that are selling well, at least 6 of my sebrights and 6 of my D' Uccles, and maybe a wyandotte or two. I have one hova and 3 LG's. I was using one of my other LGs untill about 2 weeks ago when I cleaned it, I decided to use a different one for a while [my hova was a going to be my hatcher]. Well that different LG must have had a flaw. It would go from 101 to 95 to 104 and back again!! It would be at 102 and I would turn the little nob the SMALLEST little way possible and it would be at 95!! I hate it. Now I have to toss all the eggs out and start again with the hova and the other LG. Does anyone else hate LG's?
    Ashlyn

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Don't toss the eggs!!! Move them to another incubator if you have it, but don't give up on them until well after day 21!!!!
    Temps can waver like that under a broody hen... give them a chance, ok?
    [​IMG]

3. Nupine

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I forgot to say it is day 22 for the silkies and well past that for everyone else.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  4. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:UMM, I do!! Mine is the same way!!!! :mad: I swear I could breath on that thing and it would go up 2 degrees!!!! I try not to touch it much. If the temp stays up for a while then I will try to adjust it. I thought that all incubators where the same! ONE BIG PAIN IN THE HINNY!!!!! [​IMG] But after reading about different ones I realize that no it just the LG!![​IMG] Oh well I guess I will just have to wait for all 3 (yes I have 3) of them to die so I can get a much better model [​IMG] Good luck to you! Oh yeah I would not throw the eggs out! Speaking from experience here, I have gone through the same deal and they still hatched! Sending you some wishes [​IMG]

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Oh... I'm sorry. [​IMG] I'm sure you've candled them, then?

I have an LG, and so far the temps have been fine. I just don't like the fact that you have to completely open it to rotate the eggs if you don't have a turner.

I'm so sorry about your eggs... :aww

6. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Maybe I am crazy, but I had a Hova, and I didn't like it as much as I now do my 2 LGs. I bought my 1st LG from TSC about a month ago & went and bought another a week ago. I totally agree about the nob adjustments, but I find as long as my livingroom stays w/in a consitant temp that my bator will too. Only prob I have had w/mine is that if a 40+ lb great dane pup stands on the lid of it...it will break...cave in...and crush eggs [​IMG] But thankfully it's stryophone (which I *thought* I hated and you can just push it back out & tape it back together & BAM it's back to normal!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Hovabators & Little Giants are virtually identical & most parts will interchange. The problem you had was either due to changing temps outside the incubator or a bad wafer.
    Neither of these incubators are very forgiving of environmental temp changes-they don't have much thermal mass & need to be kept where temps are stable.

8. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Well I have to agree with you right now, I hate the LG I am using! I had been using a Hovabator and I had eggs gave to me so that forced me to purchase a new one (the LG). I wasn't gonna waste a good egg, [​IMG].
    It did ok on standard eggs. But I have lost 13 bantam eggs. They all made it to hatch day and died. I am gonna put that LG up and use my Hovabator.

9. Nupine

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I may try to find something else on ebay. But everything else is so expensive.

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I don't like mine for poultry eggs. I have a 9220, LG (still air). The temp adjustment is VERY touchy & it flucuates VERY dramatically with the SLIGHTEST touch! [​IMG]

But because I'm hatching out both geese & chickens at the same time, I HAD to use it this time...but I've just been ultra careful with it. I had it spike to 102.3 this morning & I almost FAINTED.

I've used it for reptile eggs since 2002 and been happy with it for that--but I think I'll buy another Hovabator if I decide that I like hatching out birds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by