I am not having much luck

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tamelroy, Apr 30, 2009.

1. tamelroy

tamelroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
    first I have easter egg chickens, I cannot see in the eggs w/candling. "any ideas?"

I think they are called california whites they are a leghorn I think. so far only 1 out of 5 of them made it. so far what has happen they pip and I see blood oozing out, or a clear liquid. The first was blood and I paniced so I end up helping it when I shoudn't have. The other 3 just died at the very end stage I would say. The sac was very small so there wasn't much left there. And there was clear liquid in the sac, but those ones never pip. The one that made it was huge the chick didn't have room to break the egg all of they way, so during the day I slowly help that one out and that one is doing great!

I had to other mixes too, but they died a few days after hatching.

But the thing is they are all mutts, does that have anything to do w/it?

I did get 4 chicks in total, the one leghorn mix, a rr mix and bantman mixes. So at least I got something. It is just so sad to see them dying. I started all of this for my two sons they love the chickens and I thought it would be fun, but when they are not making it I hate the look on my older ones face.

So maybe I am doing something wrong, or is it the mutt thing? Thanks for any info.

Tracy

2. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    It's not the "mutt thing". Many if not most of the chickens in small flocks are mutts. Sounds to me like the eggs were too "wet". Caused by too high humidity during incubation. Don't give up, it's a learning process, though sometimes a bit painful.

Jim

3. tamelroy

tamelroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
    thank you! I have more eggs so I will do things different and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by