I am not really sure what this is. Any ideas? (Kinda gross pic)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Peepers Creepers, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Peepers Creepers

Peepers Creepers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    This chick had pipped last night about 4am.

At 8am he had zipped all the way around and was only being held in his egg by a thin little membrane.

At 5pm I couldn't take it any longer and I helped him out. I was afraid he was too tired to push his way out.

Well now it is 9pm and he is active and peeping and seems like a happy little guy except for this nasty red bloody looking thing hanging from his behind. I would take a better picture but I don't want to open the bator and let out the humidity.

He was the second to the last one to hatch and they had been in lock down for 5 days. At 5 when I took the other 9 out I noticed there was no more water in the resiviours and I refilled them after I helped the little guy out. This was only dry for a very short period of time and when I opened it I could feel the moisture.

Here is a picture. The white is a piece of shell that was stuck to it. It wasn't there the whole time it was just picked up while it was moving around.

[​IMG]

Any Ideas???

2. pnuts

pnuts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    idk:(

3. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    I can't see his underside, but is it the umbilical cord? That would be a bloody slimy string just below the cloaca.

4. Peepers Creepers

Sep 14, 2010
    I am going to get a better picture.

5. Peepers Creepers

Sep 14, 2010
    The pieces of egg are not the from the chicken in question. They have stuck to the bloody ooze.

[​IMG]

6. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Part of his yolk is not absorbed, keep him separate. Is he bleeding or is it just blood goo?

7. Peepers Creepers

Sep 14, 2010
    I think it is just ooze. It hasn't been bleeding on anything and there is no blood on the chicks feet. I have him in the incubator with all of the broken eggs and yick from the other 9 hatching. Can it get infected or is it OK to leave it in there. I don't want to make things worse by throwing and infection in there, too.

[​IMG]

8. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    I would leave it either in the bator or a box alone until the yolk absorbs or dries up. About putting something on it, I would leave it alone for now, maybe try to gently wipe some of the egg shell off. I am not an expert but I have had chicks hatch like that.

I would pull out the shells and put a hand towel or napkin under him.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  9. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    I would tend to think that the broken eggshell would be sharp enough that it could get snagged or poked by it. I would clean out the majority and lay a thin towel or paper towel on the floor of the bator and keep him in until he's absorbed that yolk. Bator is already at about the right temp for the little guy and the liner will keep it from getting snagged on that metal mesh too. Hoping he gets right soon!

10. Peepers Creepers

Sep 14, 2010
    He seems to be doing better today. He still has something hanging from his belly but it is now dried up and he is still walking around happy and is peeping, looking for his brothers and sisters. I am going to keep him in the now cleaned out incubator by himself for a while. When I put him in with the others in the brooder this morning he was getting picked at and I don't want his stump to get picked. I will post pictures in a few hours to see what you think of the progress so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by