I am NOT stupid!! (Warning: Another rant about my uncle)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by eenie114, Jul 6, 2011.

1. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Some of you may have seen my previous rant about my uncle. Details are in that thread, which you can read here.

Well, this morning at breakfast we had oatmeal, as usual. There were some strawberries left over from our barbecue on the 4th, so we set those out, too, for anybody who wanted them.
    We've never been big fruit-on-oatmeal people. But my uncle went, got a knife, and cut up some strawberries to put in the oatmeal. No big deal, to each his own.
    Joshua saw the knife on the table and said, "What's the knife for?"
    Jeff (the uncle) rolls his eyes towards the ceiling, sighs, and says, "Uh, for the strawberries. So we can put them in the oatmeal?" All of this said in a "Dear Lord, you people are IDIOTS!" tone.
    I spoke up and said, "We don't usually put fruit on on oatmeal, so that wouldn't be obvious to him."
    "Well, that's why I explained."
    I told him that it struck me as a tone that was a little bit "How-could-you-not-know-this".
    "No, it wasn't." Well. Excuse ME. [​IMG]

Later:
    Joshua and Bunji have been cleaning their room, and left the garbage can up there. So Jeff stood at the top of the stairs and said, "Joshua, Bunji, do you wanna come get the garbage can?"
    Now, doing what an adult tells you, (within reason, of course) is not optional. So my brothers are standing there at the bottom of the stairs with clearly confused expressions on their faces. I swear, I could HEAR them going, "Um, do we WANT to? No, not really. Do we have to? I dunno...."
    So I stepped in and said, "Joshua, Bunji, come get the garbage can and take it back to where it goes, please. Thank you." Then, to Jeff: "Next time just order them to, instead of asking if they want to, because if it's a job that isn't optional, they won't want to, and that makes them feel like they can say yes or no."
    "I didn't say that."
    Like h*ll, you didn't!
    "What I heard was "do you want to?" "
    "EVELYN! NOT. NOW!!!" He then stormed off. For the love of God, GROW UP! [​IMG]

I KNOW he said "do you want to?" because he's been saying it since he got here. Every single time Mom has stepped in and rephrased it. I did the same, since she is at a Dr. appointment. It has rubbed me wrong since Day One.

So, I went and cooled off my temper, and then he came back.
    "You're right, I said "Would you please?"
    I am not stupid. I will not pretend to be stupid so he can save face. He can just TRY and make me.
    "That's not what I said you said. What you said was, "Do you want to?" "
    "Evelyn, do you REALLY want to have this conversation? Who gives a rip what I said!?"
    "Who? I DO."

THIS IS WHERE IT GETS REALLY UGLY.

"And do you know why? Because you're a smart-alec little know it all who needs to SHUT UP once in a while!"
    All right. You wanna play it that way? GAME ON.
    I stood up, walked across the room to where he was standing, and said, "You know what? I am a member of this family and household, I know them way better than you do, and I deserve a h*ll of a lot more respect than that." Oh, and I really like that I'm taller than him. It makes it way easier to stand up to him.
    He backed down after that.

But if this keeps up, I swear there is going to be something VERY unpleasant on his pillow!

(Gotcha. You people thought I was going to keep being mature about this, didn't you? [​IMG] )

2. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    [​IMG]

3. eenie114

Quote:Did I handle it okay? I'm a little worried I may have taken the demanding respect a little far. Though I didn't say what was on the tip of my tongue: "I was here first".

4. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I'd just try to avoid him from now on Eenie. Sounds to me like you're not going to be able to get along with him no matter what. [​IMG]

5. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:Did I handle it okay? I'm a little worried I may have taken the demanding respect a little far. Though I didn't say what was on the tip of my tongue: "I was here first".

I'd say "good job" (and i am grinning right now, im very proud of you) but then the mature part of me says... just let it go. As my Mom says "unless it's a matter of faith or morality, dont correct anyone." Its what we call "a Franciscan moment," to deal with a situation in humility and love. He'll be gone soon, summer is almost over.
    [​IMG]

6. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Quote:I know it is preferable to deal with a situation yourself when someone is acting in upsetting ways.... but will you pleeeeeeease make sure your mother hears the above sentence directly from you just the way it was phrased? Did any of your siblings hear that part to back you up?

Since it is your parents home and your parents decision to bring this member into the household, they're authority on the matter is going to be much more effective than yours. Granted, of course, that their authority is exercised under the correct decision by them, which would be that kind of nastiness from him should be addressed and remedied with an apology immediately. In your place I would demand a public apology for the rude words, just so he doesen't think he can get away with it [​IMG]

I'm... as I'm sure Ive said already [​IMG]... 23... and while my mother and I are living together in the house she owns... I let her handle other occupants and guests of the home... (for the most part!)... as long as she is dealing with things appropriately.

Right now we are dealing with a horrible boarder fellow (after the nice one relocated to be with family [​IMG]) ... this new guy has only been here 2 weeks and mother has already decided he needs to go when the month he already paid for is through (2 more weeks [​IMG])... among his faults being that he is just creeeeeeepy [​IMG] and comes up to stand right behind you and stare at what you are doing, even after you tell him to go away... nosey.... and well.. I wont turn this into my rant with too much of it... but he keeps sneaking our dog outside when hes been ordered to leave her alone. He likes to play with her outside.. but she is old and arthritic and he has been ordered to stop. Still.. he goes in and out the door all day, and next thing we turn around to find Rosie is missing and we have to go out and fetch her [​IMG]

I left it all mostly up to mom the first week, and told her my concerns... but when I saw she wasn't able to completely handle the situation with Rosie and when he started infringing on my personal space, then I started to pipe up.... and I swear if he tries to sneak Rosie past us one more time.... GAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just a few hours ago I was headed back to my room and turned with the door in hand to see he had paused at his door and was watching, waiting for me to go back in my room before he went in his.. with Rosie right there at the door.. and this sneaky 3 year olds look on the dudes face (hes like 70 or something!)... So I yelled "Rosie! Get away from that door! You are NOT going outside!" and the guy got this really petulant look on his face and slammed his door closed after him [​IMG]

Or if he comes up behind me, in that area you can't see without turning, but raises the hair on the back of your neck, again..... I'm going to go offfffffffff [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. eenie114

Quote:I know it is preferable to deal with a situation yourself when someone is acting in upsetting ways.... but will you pleeeeeeease make sure your mother hears the above sentence directly from you just the way it was phrased? Did any of your siblings hear that part to back you up?

Since it is your parents home and your parents decision to bring this member into the household, they're authority on the matter is going to be much more effective than yours. Granted, of course, that their authority is exercised under the correct decision by them, which would be that kind of nastiness from him should be addressed and remedied with an apology immediately. In your place I would demand a public apology for the rude words, just so he doesen't think he can get away with it [​IMG]

I'm... as I'm sure Ive said already [​IMG]... 23... and while my mother and I are living together in the house she owns... I let her handle other occupants and guests of the home... (for the most part!)... as long as she is dealing with things appropriately.

Right now we are dealing with a horrible boarder fellow (after the nice one relocated to be with family [​IMG]) ... this new guy has only been here 2 weeks and mother has already decided he needs to go when the month he already paid for is through (2 more weeks [​IMG])... among his faults being that he is just creeeeeeepy [​IMG] and comes up to stand right behind you and stare at what you are doing, even after you tell him to go away... nosey.... and well.. I wont turn this into my rant with too much of it... but he keeps sneaking our dog outside when hes been ordered to leave her alone. He likes to play with her outside.. but she is old and arthritic and he has been ordered to stop. Still.. he goes in and out the door all day, and next thing we turn around to find Rosie is missing and we have to go out and fetch her [​IMG]

I left it all mostly up to mom the first week, and told her my concerns... but when I saw she wasn't able to completely handle the situation with Rosie and when he started infringing on my personal space, then I started to pipe up.... and I swear if he tries to sneak Rosie past us one more time.... GAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just a few hours ago I was headed back to my room and turned with the door in hand to see he had paused at his door and was watching, waiting for me to go back in my room before he went in his.. with Rosie right there at the door.. and this sneaky 3 year olds look on the dudes face (hes like 70 or something!)... So I yelled "Rosie! Get away from that door! You are NOT going outside!" and the guy got this really petulant look on his face and slammed his door closed after him [​IMG]

Or if he comes up behind me, in that area you can't see without turning, but raises the hair on the back of your neck, again..... I'm going to go offfffffffff [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Will do, Becky. [​IMG] And yes, my little sister who is old enough to know how rude he was being was in the room doing this: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

He did apologize, in front of afore-mentioned sister, does that count as a public apology? I think he really was sorry, too. That, or he's terrified of me. [​IMG]

8. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] Most likely the last! [​IMG] [​IMG] Now I'm scared too [​IMG]

For the first... Don't you agree that a public apology ought to include bowing and scraping and weeping and otherwise debasing himself?? [​IMG]

9. eenie114

Quote:[​IMG] Most likely the last! [​IMG] [​IMG] Now I'm scared too [​IMG]

For the first... Don't you agree that a public apology ought to include bowing and scraping and weeping and otherwise debasing himself?? [​IMG]

I've been told by many different people that I have the scariest death stare they've ever seen. [​IMG] It comes in handy, I must say.

Or something. [​IMG] I think that would annoy me more than humiliate him.

10. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    You still handled it better than I would have. I'm glad you stood up to him. He needs to be reminded that he is a guest in your family home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by