I am not sure if I shoud be worried!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Foleys, May 19, 2010.

1. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Sense this is our first time and every thing is still new when you look at this roo dose anything look out of the normal??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sorry but the pictures are too blurry to really tell anything.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    It looks like he has scabs on his face and comb? Has he been in a fight recently?

You might want to run a search on "wet pox" and "dry pox" to see if any of those symptoms match his. I know one of those diseases cause spots on the comb, but I can't remember which one.

Hope you find out what's wrong!

4. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Thats what I was thinking but he has not been that I know of and he dose not scratch a whole bunch so I dont think he has mites and not sure it would look like that.

5. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  6. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    That looks like fowl pox. My old flock had it once, and I'm sure my new pullets will get it eventually...So many mosquitos here...As long as its dry pox not 'wet' pox he should be okay. I would add alittle vitamins to all the waterers and make sure he is eating and drinking. If any of the sores are open you can put alittle neosporin on them so they don't get any worse. If it is fowl pox it will take about 2-3 weeks to fun its course and if your hens get it (it is contagious) they will stop laying while their bodies fight it off. I would look up some info in and make sure its not the 'wet' kind though.

7. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Quote:This is what I have read about fowl pox..

Fowl pox is a viral disease spread by the bites of mosquitoes. The infection leads to warty nodules on the bare or non-feathered parts of the head and legs and sometimes lesions in the beak, nostrils and throat. It depends on location, but pox is referred to as either skin pox or 'wet' pox.

The most common outbreak is the skin form, showing warty-like eruptions. Pale lumps form yellow bumps which may enlarge and run together forming masses of yellow crusts. It takes about a week for these scabs to darken and fall off.
    The 'wet' pox form shows up in the beak, nostrils and throat as cheesy masses which interfere with eating and breathing.

Treatment is of little value. Lesions normally heal within 4 weeks. In severe cases it may be necessary to remove scabs and treat with antiseptic washes. Adding water soluble vitamin tonic powder to the flocks water source will help them fight this off.
    Warm salt water can be used to clean off nostrils and beaks. The addition of 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar to each gallon of water can help reduce mucus but must not be mixed with the vitamin tonic.

Prevention by reducing exposure to mosquitoes is the best defense. Screening sheds and coops and by dealing with mosquito habitats. Vaccination is effective and warranted. once you are aware that this is prevalent in your area. Consider this when adding to the flock in subsequent seasons.

From Another Source:

If you are considering breeding/raising birds, I strongly suggest that you breed for resistance. These are the birds that get sick and recover, are less sick than others, or don't get sick at all.

In some instance of poultry disease, it has been found that it IS possible to reduce the amount of out break on your property by doing this. It is much in the same way as some people get more sick than others.

Although you may not want to and it seems cruel, a still programme of culling and breeding, i.e. culling ANY bird that seems to get sick, will ultimately improve your coop (suggested for the serious breed/farmer but may not be approiate for hobbyists).

But the thing is i never saw any thing wrong with him as in showing warty-like eruptions,Pale lumps form yellow bumps. I have spent a little time with the chickens every day I sense i have got them I would have noticed them nasty things. I just noticed the scab looking things yesterday... Hmm

This is what he looked like a maybe 4 days ago..
    [​IMG] No sings of anything

Last edited: May 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by