I am not sure this should be here,

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by missnu01, Nov 28, 2012.

1. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    But I am getting a Silky or is it Silky? Anyway I am getting a Silkie rooster tomorrow and I am just excited. It seems like adding chickens is kind of flock management...yes? No?

Who is excited?! <------this girl!

2. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    It is Silkie.. Getting new chickens is exciting. :). I hope your integration goes smooth.

3. ive found that adding a rooster to a group of hens is alot easier than hens to hens. As long as those not a aggressive rooster in with him he ought to be fine.

4. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Well we already have a rooster and 3 hens, but that rooster is only paying any attention or watching after his 3 hens...
    I have never seen him get flustered at anything...even when something is menacing his hens, he just moves them inside.

I got a mama hen and her 7 chicks, and as soon as they were altogether the chicks were just everywhere, and they literally steal food right out from under our current roo and he doesn't get at all flustered...I haven't seen him show any aggression towards anything. I mean if he decided to he could definitely cause some mayhem because he is huge, and old, and has the spurs to prove it...but he is a gentle giant...he eats out of my hands, and doesn't get flustered with us, or the kids, or the dogs, the cats, the other chickens...nothing. So I am going to assume that the mama hen will throw up the most opposition, the chicks are fully feathered and almost as big as mama, but she won't let them go. Not for a second...full on brood still active. Lol.
    Anyway our current roo totally ignores mama and her hens...to the point that when he saw a cat stalking in the woods today he took his hens and went inside, leaving the mama and chicks to fend for themselves...but at precisely the right moment my spidey senses started tingling. Went out to check and noticed that the cat had herded one baby away...but while my cat is a hunter, his favorite treats still come from me...so as soon as he saw me he was all purr, purr, I wasn't doing anything...lol. So everyone is alright, but I need a roo that will protect everyone, and as I mentioned our current roo is very old, and not at all aggressive to the point that he is only half a rooster...lol. He has the look, but not the attitude. So a younger rooster should help a bit I feel like. We'll have the imposing looking rooster, and then the puff ball with the tiny hen...Another reason to get a smaller rooster. Lol. The mama hen is tiny compared to the other chickens. Anyway super excited. Imma go get him tomorrow.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  5. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Well I got the new fella, and boy oh boy doe he bring out the rooster in my older boy...Lol.

Wow-ee

As soon as the new little guy crowed that just set my big guy off...strutting around, crowing, fluffing up...

I am curious to see what happens we they see each other as opposed to just hearing each other. But my big old guy is kicking up a mess in the coop everytime the new guy crows, which was pretty often this morning, but everything seems to have quieted down now.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    2 roosters is going to over stress three hens, if that's all the birds you have. Keep an eye on those girls they don't get over mated or harassed.

7. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Well we have 3 hens, and a mama hen and 7 chicks. It looks like at least 3 of the chicks are cockerels...starting to puff and squawk about...Lol. We will be getting a lot of hens in spring though. I just keep picking up any cheap chickens I see online...Lol. I plan on ordering or getting 30 or so at the local feed stores...depends on what the feed stores have whether I get them locally or online

8. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    I wouldn't know that our original rooster is even mating the hens, except the eggs that I have cracked open have all been fertilized. The large boy is apparently very very easy with his small flock...but that was my issue. I got that new mama and her chicks and my big boy just acts like none of them exist...to the point that he allowed our cat to isolate a baby chick and right at the perfect moment my spidey senses tingled and I went out to do a head count...anyway all the chickens are alright, but it just seemed like he was slacking off a bit too much in his roosterly duties. I figured if I got another roo he could watch out for mama and babies while the big fella keeps up with his own...

9. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    It may have been a mistake though. We'll see. I have confidence that it will all work out. If nothing else I'll keep the new guy separated until there are enough hens for him to have a few of his own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by