I am now a new goat owner!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ozark hen, Nov 9, 2009.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I am thrilled to say a wonderful young woman just gave us two wethers (sp?)they are LaMancha and are six months old. They lead rather well. I was able to put them into the turkey pen(much to the dismay of the turkeys)till we had the chicken run completely covered in grass hay. We unrolled a large bale of hay in the run and in the large goat house. Come winter they can stay in with the chickens but for now in the nice weather they seem content in the run. The young woman showed us how to clip their hooves and did them for us. she showed us how to care for their ears and gave us worming med. Also told us when shots were due. Now I need to glean all the info from all my fellow byc'ers who own goats to keep them healthy. I will post pics tomorrow when I have some decent light. [​IMG]

2. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Congratulations!

The basics.......Keep your goat out of the chicken food, bad for goats....particularly bad for wethers. Supply a loose mineral...shots....ummm any particular questions? I don't feed my wethers any grain, just hay.

Goats are such a joy! You'll love them!

3. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG]

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:So we have the entire chicken run covered in grass-hay is that going to be a bad thing for the goats to be on at night? We are keeping them inside the run until they know where home is at. At their old house they stayed in the yard on their own.
    The only place chicken feed is at is inside the coop. When the weather turns bad we have a small coop room they can stay in at night w/out any chicken feed in it.
    Any/all advice is appreciated. I will worm them tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by