1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am now NOT the last person in the South on Dial-UP!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lockedhearts, Mar 6, 2009.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    HA HA HA, I got HughesNet installed today, my only High Speed option since AT&T will never, at least in my lifetime run DSL down my road! I weighed options and pricing between HughesNet and WildBlue and HughesNet had the better deal!
    Now Hubby has to get the router working so I can use the laptop while he is on the PC, this may take a day or two since it seems to be an issue at the moment! But I am not SLOW anymore [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Congratulations! I got "high speed" in Jan. 2008. It still isn't all that fast, but it sure beats dial-up!

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG] I have dial-up! ( [​IMG] ) [​IMG]

4. Donnadzitall

Donnadzitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Granite Falls WA
    Quote:What's dial up? BOOHAHAHA! Just kidding....it is definitely slower but hey...it is better than nothing right?[​IMG]

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    So you have to tell us what the great price was?
    Still on dail up here in the middle of no where NC!!!
    Sharon

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I had a coupon for Free Installation, but I had to lease the equipment. But for now I thought that was fine.

Before I had NetZero and paid $9.95 month. The lease on this is $9.99 a month. I had to pay a few months in advance for the lease and a couple months in advance for my service, I got a mid-range $60.00 a month service . Total upfront charges were $170.00

If I had bought the equipment outright, I would have paid $300.00 upfront and still had to pay the monthly. Since I am on a budget, the lease made better budget sense for now.

I am thinking about getting rid of my home phone, since I am paying $40 for that and never use it.

7. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Hey there's a thing you can buy called a Jack-All or something like that and it will give you phone service by simply plugging it in to the back of your puter. Maybe it's called magic jack?

8. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I've read so many bad reviews of the Magic Jack, I wouldn't recommend that. We haven't had a home phone for several years. We pay less to each have a cel phone. Since all of our family is out of state that has saved us a small fortune.

9. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Congrats!!! I'm jealous,lol.
    I''ll be stuck on dial up for while I reckon. We had Wildblue come out,but told us we'd have to cut several trees. I've thought of wireless,but we don't even get a cell signal here. [​IMG]

10. Cajunsamoan

Cajunsamoan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    We just got DSL in our area recently. It was a big surprise since we don't have cell service or even mail service out here. I'm so happy for you! I don't miss dial up at all!! Sorry for those of you who still have to wait. It's no fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by