i am now the Egg Nazi - No More Eggs for You!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Okay, i have read other people's posts about ungrateful neighbors who take advantage of free eggs, and i didn't think i had a problem. Most of my family and friends live a ways away, so i sometimes find several extra dozen eggs in my fridge. i do give them to several different neighbors when i see them. But one neighbor in particular tends to ask for eggs. That's fine, he always says not to make ourselves short, and only give if we have extra. So we do. Plus recently, he has been going through difficult financial times, so i hand off a dozen or so when he comes by.

Then tonight, he tells us a tale of how he hard boiled 28 eggs, and took them to work with him. He pulled them out and offered them to his construction crew. He said he told them how we have so many eggs we are handing them out right and left, as they all chomped them down like they were gum drops. His point to us was to say that some of the guys thanked him for the eggs.

After he left, i got a bit miffed. i thought i was giving him eggs to help him in these difficult financial times. But if he is handing them out to folks that i don't even know, that is a bit perturbing to me. i think the free egg store needs to close down for a bit. i feel taken advantage of. i work really hard taking care of my chickens, and their feed and treats are not cheap. Funny how a grateful neighbor turns ungrateful and ungracious after too many free eggs.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You can be the "Nazi"... just don't get him so miffed he turns you in to animal police for no good reason.

3. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Just smile and tell him they aren't laying very well at the moment. Eventually if he asks again tell him you give surplus eggs to the food bank people for those less fortunate.

Good luck [​IMG]

4. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Tell him you found a worthy charitable institution to take them to. People who need them and can't afford them.

5. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Or you could tell him you sell your eggs for $1.50 or $2.00 or whatever per dozen and if he wants on the list for the next available, you'd be happy to give him a call (meaning never).

6. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    At least he fed them to people!
    Maybe you gave him to many and he didn't want to so no, I don't need any, thinking you would get offended!
    I know I'm so naive!
    Brenda

7. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Post an ad on CraigsList advertizing fresh eggs. I did and have several new customers who are will to drive and get X dozen a month. Very nice. Wit the economy the way it is, I need my egg sales to help pay for the feed for my girls and boys. Not making a profit by any means, but every little bit helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by